my 1958 Crown Graphic. The shutter has been recently serviced. I have

been using a 127 Schneider, and 150mm Rodenstock for a number of

years but wanted a wide angle. The 90mm Angulon, NOT A SUPER ANGULON,

is the original late fifties model originally offered with the Crown

Graphics. I would like comments on sharpness, contrast, etc. Also the

lens has one small flaw in that one of the inner elements has a line

of some type of dirt (mold?) at the extreme perimeter. Considering

that I will be shooting at 16 or so am I right in my thinking that

this should not be a problem, or should I have it cleaned?

Steve

I used an Angulon for a while on my 5x7 (I think it was a 120), and found they are pretty decent lenses. At F16 you should have no problems. I personally don't look for lenses that are inherently contrasty -- it is more of a problem to deal with light range in the real world than to expand the tonality of the world. Compactness is a plus. Why not take a couple of pics before cleaning and lubricating. In general I believe them to be under=rated.

Steve: The obvious answer is to try it and see if you like it. I've had several of these over the years, and the quality seems to get better as the serial numbers get higher. Some of these lenses are really, really old. The one I had with a serial number in the 2's was simply unacceptable. The next one (still have it) was from the 1954-1955 range. It isn't half bad if stopped down to f:16 or f:22. I use it handheld with a Graphic as it was intended and it is good enough for that. I have one in the high 6's which is good enough to be a lightweight 90mm for serious work, when stopped down to at least f:16 and when no movement is needed. It is quite acceptable from edge to edge. I am sure that there are samples in the 2's which are just great so, again, you have it in hand and you might as well try it and see if it meets your personal definition of good enough. Try cleaning off whatever you see by unscrewing the front and rear elements and carefully cleaning the inside surface. This is probably a little wisp of separation, which some of these get. Stopped down it shouldn't matter, though saying that without seeing it is more or less a guess. It costs you one sheet of film to find out a better answer to your question than anyone can give you from a distance. Good luck.

Steve,

I used a 90mm Angulon for years with my Crown Graphic, almost always hand-held. The lens was just fine, nothing stellar mind you. I enlarged the prints to 16x20, the corners were a bit soft, but not too awful. I managed to sync my the Kalart rangefinder to work with the lens. It seems to me I had to tweek it a bit, but they do work.

If you can't get to the dirt by unscrewing the elements from the shutter, I would just leave it, its not worth spending much money on it. Just shoot and enjoy.

Just a note. I did try unscrewing the front and rear but the imperfection is inside the front. Can't get at it, but I really do not think it will affect anything UNLESS it is a mold which can grow bigger. Again the mark, sort of a clear and hard to see imperfection is limited to the perimeter and only coves about a quarter inch if that. It could be seperation, however I thought this lens was of a design where the elements are seperated by air.

There is an in-depth article on Schneider lenses by Kerry

Thalmann in the latest issue of View Camera magazine. Jan-

Feb 2003. It includes the Angulon's and it's various incarnations.

For lens mold I wonder if UV-C light would kill it. That's what is

used in the a/c industry for mold and mildew.

I have a 90mm/6.8 Angulon (Linhof selected) and quite like it for 4x5". It's very compact and has plenty of room for movements on 4x5", but definition drops off quite precipitously if you go too far. In his recent article on Schneider lenses, Kerry Thalmann suggested that in his experience, the Linhof selected Angulons are a bit better, but given usage variation in all these lenses that are more than 40 years old, I'd go by condition of the glass rather than the label on the shutter.

Fungus should be cleaned before it etches the glass. You can unscrew the cells and access all the exposed surfaces. If the elements have a little separation at the edges, stopping down will take care of that.

<a href="http://www.nadir.it/ob-fot_miscell/storia_obiett.htm">This web page</a> shows the Schneider Angulon formula--two groups, each 3 cemented elements. As far as cleaning/repairing goes, I suggest you take some pictures and see how they look. If you like them, don't worry about the lens. On the other hand, if having an "imperfect" lens bugs you, go ahead and have it cleaned up.

Steve,

First and most important .. use it and if you like it don't worry. I would not

spend much money on getting it cleaned up as these lenses are fairly easy to

come by in the $125 - 150 range.

I used one for years and thought it ok, nver spectacular but ok. Comparing

some negatives I exposed with that lens to those exposed with my 90 mm

Grandagon f6.8 there is no comparison. I find the Grandagon one of my

sharpest and most contrasty lenses. The Angulon was always a bit soft and

flat for my taste.

Well, I have a 210mm Angulon and would match it up against just about any new lens (or old for that matter)in terms of sharpness and coverage, that would like to take the challenge. I had a 165mm Angulon which I unfortunatly sold, in a moment of stupidity. If your 90mm Angulon follows in the grand tradition of my Angulons, you'll be more than pleased with your optic.

BTW, what is the serial number of the lens, or the date of manufacture?

I use one of these on my linhof technika and find its about as sharp as anyone could ever need...considering the human eye can't tell the difference between 56lpmm and 76lpmm on a print. Also when stopped down past f22 most lenses are about equal. Look out for the coverage the schneider homepage lists the image circle as 154mm @f16 and i have run into problems with this using movements, my solution is to limit movements and compose to the 9x12 lines on my ground glass...problem solved use it and have fun you really don't need to spend $500+ dollars to get a good print.