What size to upload ?

<p>Dear Members ,</p>

<p>Over the years I have captured images mostly in DSLRs having 6 Mp , 12Mp , 16 Mp and 24 Mp . When uploading in stock agencies , should the file be in the maximum native resolution of the camera or I need to upscale ? For example , for D70 the maximum native resolution is 3008X2000 . However , if some buyer needs a 18X12 print , perhaps that would not be possible . And again , there may be another buyer who might need even a larger print . So , should I upscale and upload and again if I upscale to what maximum size ?</p>

<p>I have tried to get the answer through searches but have not got it .</p>

<p>Regards .</p>

<p>Thanks ,</p>

<p>Apart from the technological advancements , since larger prints fetch more money , is this an additional impetus for the pros to go for the newer higher Mp cameras as they come out ?</p>

<p>I don't know any reputable stock agency that doesn't tell their potential contributors what size their high res. submissions have to be. 50MB is common. Typically they will expect that level to be reached without interpolation. Ask your agency what their requirements are.</p>

<p>Thanks David ,</p>

<p>I was talking about 500 px and here is what I got -</p>

<p>"For Print Ready or Products for Resale usage we require a high resolution file with a minimum of <br />3000px on the longest edge"</p>

<p>And from your post -</p>

<p>"submissions have to be. 50MB is common. Typically they will expect that level to be reached without interpolation. "<br>

<br>

A particular RAW file of D70 when saved as JPEG produces a 3.21 mb file , on the other hand a RAW file of D5300 produces roughly a 17 mb file when saved as JPEG . So , please let me how to achieve a 50 mb file size .<br>

<br>

Do the reputable stock agencies not accept if the file size is less than 50 mb ? Or , if the files are from D70 ?<br>

</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Persons other than the photoshop gurus are handling the data :) . Even a 14 bit RAW file from D700 is not much . <strong>So its still not clear how a 50 mb is generated</strong> .</p>

<p>And ,</p>

<p><em>if 50 mb is the file size criterion for the reputable stock agencies</em> , <strong>how acceptable would be the images from D70 today or 10 years from now</strong> ?</p>

<p>Thanks .</p>

<p>Stop thinking RAW, start thinking 16-bit TIFF. A D5300 for example produces an image that's 6000x4000 pixels.</p>

<p>6000 * 4000 * 3 colors * 16 bits/color / 8 bits/byte = 144 MB</p>

<p>While technically the bayer filter demosaicing process might be a form of interpolation, nobody is going to call it that. RAW files are so small because they only have one color per pixel, a partial second byte per sample, and usually some form of lossless compression on top.</p>

<p>Why are you speaking of Jpegs? The libraries I supply - and 500PX isn't one of them- ask for 8bit Tiffs in Adobe RGB (1998) at 50MB . Saving to jpeg makes it more difficult to reach any target an agency sets in terms of MB per image. It doesn't make it harder to hit a target given as 3000 pixels on the longest side.</p>

<p>Ten years or so ago , when the D70 was new, agencies used to have lists of acceptable cameras. Not on the list, they wouldn't carry your stuff. Sometimes that list comprised entirely of full frame cameras. Sometimes it was a list of cameras that would in their opinion produce a good 50MB file without (much) interpolation. All this totally ignores the fact that for most stock image applications an 18MB image would do nicely. </p>

<p>But stop fretting about how to get to 50MB if that's not what 500PX require, from whatever camera you have /have had with at least 3000px on the longest side. </p>

<p>Don't confuse file size for transmittal with image size opened in a program like Photoshop. Some agencies request transmittal as compressed JPEGs, but the underlying image size requirement is for the full-size TIFF, often at least 50 MB, which isn't difficult to far exceed with today's cameras shooting RAW and converting to TIFF.</p>

<p>Your simplest option would be to submit corrected, uncompressed TIFF images from the D7200 (24.2 MP).</p>

<p>A 24 MP image translates to a 42 MB uncompressed RAW image, up to 17 MB JPEG or a 72 MB, 16-bit TIFF, without resampling. JPEG files have several options regarding the level of compression, hence size and, inversely, quality. TIFF files can be compressed, but most are not for reasons of compatibility. TIFF files can also contain layers, but most do not for client submission.</p>

<p>I'm curious why a photo agency would specify the minimum size in MB, rather than MP. I would expect this of someone naive with respect to digital photography, yet is often the potential clients who also specify images as "300 dpi).</p>

<p>Working back from 50 MB to TIFF, it would seem agencies might look for at least 16 MP images. My RAW files (42 MP) are 84 MB, but my preferred submittal would be in TIFF format, which locks in any color and image corrections, and cropping. I generally <strong>downsample</strong>, rather than submit 250 MB TIFF files on a regular basis.</p>

<p>This is what Alamy wants - </p>

<ol>

<li><strong>Good enough quality for all our customers’ needs<br /></strong>There are a number of technical reasons why images might not pass our QC checks. If you’re uploading for the first time, take a look at our QC failure reasons PDF to avoid any issues.</li>

<li><strong>Photos from a camera that has a minimum of 6 megapixels<br /></strong>Cameras with less than this won’t be able to produce a good enough quality for us to sell</li>

<li><strong>JPEGS</strong><br />Shoot or illustrate in whatever format you like, but you’ll need to submit your images to us as JPEGs.</li>

<li><strong>JPEG file size of over 17MB (when uncompressed)</strong><br />This is likely to have a compressed JPEG size of 3-5MB. Opening a JPEG in an image program such as Adobe Photoshop will show you the uncompressed (open) file size.</li>

</ol>

<p>So , submit in JPEG and not in Tiff . </p>

<p>It's not hard to break the 50Mb ceiling in a 24Mp APC RAW file of a moderately complex scene. As noted the output is 6000x4000, and on the average create 30-35Mb files in NEF--before any digital development such as exposure compensation, sharpening, or creative editing is applied. Such files when converted directly to uncompressed (not using LZW) 16 bit become quite large as Edward has noted--often in the 60-70Mb range or more.</p>

<p>My D7100 seems to own stock in Western Digital--as it keeps calling for more and larger hard disks...</p>

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!