Bird of Prey - ID?

archaeoImages

<p>This is a hawk, not a harrier. Take a look at Eurasion Sparrowhawk (<em>Accipiter nisus</em>) <a href="https://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/discover">here </a><br>

Based on the description, this would be a female with the more brown coloration on the back. Our friends in England can verify or provide a better ID.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Martyn, your hawk is a female <strong>Eurasian sparrowhawk</strong> <em>Accipiter nisus</em> in immature plumage (i.e. a bird hatched in 2015). This is not a speculative identification; I am 100% certain of it. This is THE classic avian predator of garden birds up to the size of a woodpigeon in the UK, and they are particularly fond of collared doves. I see them pretty much daily in my garden.<br>

Best wishes, Nigel (UK)</p>

<p>Here is another Sparrowhawk also taken in Essex, UK, this one was eating a pigeon in my back garden. The female (as in both pictures) is quite a bit larger than the male and can tackle pigeons and simalar sized birds while the smaller male goes for smaller prey (eg sparrows). The bird in your picture is standing in grass which obscures its long legs which you can see in the pic below. They chase their prey through bushes and undergrowth, helped by their streamilned shape and amazing manoeuvrability. They were fairly rare in the UK not long ago but are now making a welcome comeback. They can be confused with kestrels except the kestrel has dark eyes.</p><div>00duGR-562663884.jpg.c55ce42e8fea5a6c81a56a617774a8f4.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Martyn, there seems to be a resurgence of birds of prey in southern Uk recently. Red kites are now a common site along motorways (permanent supply of roadkill), I've seen buzzards and kestrels around Hainault country park and of course that sparrowhawk just outside the window! Great if one is not a pigeon.</p>