Adapting an older F-mount Micro Nikkor 105mm f/4 Macro to Canon EF?

bhuij

<p>Hey all--<br>

I've been having a ball adapting all my old OM system lenses to my 5D Mk II, and wanted to expand my horizons and get an old school manual focus macro lens to put on my DSLR.<br>

I ended up choosing between the Pentax K-mount 100mm f/4 Macro with a Fotodiox adapter, and the Micro Nikkor 105mm f/4, and ended up going with the Pentax because it was slightly less expensive and apparently every bit as good optically.<br>

Unfortunately it wasn't until I got my adapter from Fotodiox and mounted the lens to my camera, that I found out K-mount lenses have a flange which protrudes far enough into my camera body to hang up the mirror on a full-frame EOS camera. Apparently this isn't an issue on crop-sensor bodies, but now I can only use the Pentax with tubes, so I lose a little light and no longer have infinity focus.<br /><br />The Nikkor is only a little bit more expensive, and I think I can safely eBay my Pentax and buy a Nikkor + adapter instead. But before I do I wanted to ask someone with experience whether I'm going to run into a similar problem, or if F-mount lenses work normally adapted to EF?</p>

<p>The standard Nikon F to Canon EF adapter works just fine, but of course with all manual aperture and focus.<br>

I got my daughter a 105mm Nikkor "micro" for this very purpose (non-AI of course) on her EF-mount cameras. To get to 1:1 you will need an additional extension tube (just as on the Nikons).<br>

The 105 Nikkor is a superb micro lens and the all manual operation is no real impediment to macro work.</p>

• 2 weeks later...