Advice needed for deciding b/t 135 f/2 and 70-200 f/2.8

sarah_ros

<p>Hi all,<br>

First of all I currently have: Canon 70D (<strong>cropped</strong>), 50mm 1.8, 18-55mm (kit), 55-250mm (also part of the kit). <br>

I am looking for a nice (probably L series glass) lens to get a little deeper into the world of portrait photography. I am currently looking at lenses like 135 f/2 and 70-200 f/2.8 Since budget is a big part of the equation, I am looking to spend $1000 or less on used lens. So if I did opt for the 70-200 it would mk I and probably non IS. I have heard very good things about the 135 f/2 except I am a little worried it might be too long on my cropped 70d. Any thoughts?</p>

<p>(Also since I am planning on buying the lens used, does anyone know of any good retailers that are reputable and good for buying used lenses aside form ebay and craiglist?)</p>

<p>Thank you!<br>

Sarah</p>

<p>I think the 135mm L would probably be too long: it's already a little long on a full frame camera. I, too, would suggest the 50/1.8, or 85 1.8. Try KEH to get a s/h 85mm. You could easily get both for way under $1000. Personally, I would get the current 50/1.8 STM which is the equivalent of 80mm on full frame. It only costs $125 new! An absolute bargain.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>They have right.<br>

You <em>CAN</em> use any focal length for portrait work, of course, but there are reasons 75 -85mm lenses on a "full frame" camera were commonly known as "portrait lenses". One of the classic "portrait" lenses was the Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, so slightly longer is no problem. These translate into APS-C ("crop") focal lengths of from 50 to 85mm, give or take.<br>

The suggestion of KEH for used lenses is great, and both B&H and Adorama also sell used lenses. All of these offer good return policies.<br>

Another issue is the aperture and lens characteristics in out-of-focus areas (see <em>Bokeh</em>). The Canon 50mm f/1.8 is a great lens, but some think its "bokeh" is a little blocky. Read http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Photography/new/pdf/en/cln_archiv/cln35_en_web_special_bokeh.pdf</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Which lens is best really depends on what kind of "portrait" you're talking about, full body, half body or tight face crop. A 50mm is good for full body, the 85 f1.8 is good for half body and, if you don't mind getting close, a tight crop as well, and the 135 is great for a tight facial crop.</p>

<p>You already have the 50, the 85 f1.8 runs around $200-300 used which is within your price range, so only focal length missing is the 135 f2. But as it's a little expensive you might want to consider another lens which is something of a compromise between the 85 and 135, the 100 macro, which used by many as a portrait lens. </p>

<p>I've found a few 85mm 1.2 for $900 and I am sort of considering that even though it's a little pricey for me. I'm thinking the 135mm will be way too long for me. I use my 50mm 1.8 for all my portraits right now and it's great I just really want a telephoto type of lens. </p>

<p>You can consider an 85/f1.2L and investment at $900. If you had to resale, you could get your money out. Even though it's a little lone on a crop-sensor body, you can simply move back a bit.</p>

<p>I feel a bokeh nut in the making. Practice before you shoot at f/1.2 on a paid gig. The razor thin DOF can catch you with OOF nose, etc. You may need single-point AF and steer the AF point around, or focus and lock focus. Don't get carried away with bokeh. It's often overused. Remember, you don't need to be and f/1.2 to get attractive bokeh. Use the whole range of this great lens.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Even though it's a little lone on a crop-sensor body, you can simply move back a bit.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is what I was thinking, so I feel like it might be a better fit than the 135 f/2 or even the 70-200. I was also a little worried about the shallow depth of field with that 1.2 but I do want to play with it first before taking my chances at a shoot lol.</p>

<p>The 135mm is too long on a crop sensor. The 70-200mm is actually very good. I use my EF 70-200mm f/4L IS for portraits, but I'm not a bokeh-hound. It has great bokeh, but the f/'2.8 can get you really shallow DOF, if you really want that. It's a matter of how you shoot. </p>

<p>If your specialty, I'd meet that 85/f1.2 seller. Ask to see some images taken with the lens. It looks like a good deal. I find that a call can often get me comfortable with a seller, or not. That kitchen table is clean and in a good looking home, so initial signs are good. If the seller is selling because they bought the Series II or moved to Leica, then jump all over it.</p>

Sarah, as you already have the 55-250mm, why don't you simply test the focal lengths your are asking about?

The difference will be the depth of field and bokeh related to the apertures available on the prime lenses versus your kit

zoom lens.

Once you see how close or how far you can/need-to be from your subject, then you only need to imagine the blur

difference (and you could even recreate that with your 50mm prime lens, but that would be more cumbersome as some

kind of precise cropping would be needed).