Battery issues, third party, charging and compatibility!

james_oconnell3

<p>Hi folks,<br>

I have a question about third party and genuine batteries, as well two different genuine chargers.<br>

I have the Nikon D810 and also the D7100. I've been using both third party and legit Nikon batteries for the D7100. However, with the D810 being pricier and well, better, I don't want to screw it up with third party batteries.<br>

I have two slightly different chargers which came with the two cameras. One is the MH-25, the other is the MH-25A charger. The latter was the one that came with the D810.<br>

The legit Nikon batteries are the <strong>EN-EL15, 7.0V, 1900mAh, 14Wh.</strong><br>

Then I have one <strong>EN-EL15 7.4V, 2400mAh, 17.8Wh</strong><br>

and one <strong>EN-EL15, 7.0V, 2400mAh, 16.8Wh battery.</strong><br>

The answer here may be just not to use third party batteries with a decent DSLR but I'm not sure. The stats of these batteries vary slightly but I don't know what effect that may have.<br>

Either way, if we do regard the answer to be 'don't use them', can I use both the legit Nikon chargers, or is there some way that the MH-25 varies to it's sibling; the MH-25A?<br>

Many thanks!</p>

<p>I use Wasabi en el 15 in my D 750 -- excellent, and their charger is smaller, direct plug on the charger. It comes with car cord and euro plug and has a red / green charge indicator light. Battery performance comparable to Nikon in my opinion. I have a pair of the en el 14 for my DF -- same story. I only take Wasabi chargers for travel.</p>

<p>mAh = milliamp hours is the available capacity. The more the better.<br>

V is obviously Volts. Battery voltage varies a bit from fully charged to partial charge, then a lot to flat. I can't comment on 7 vs 7.4 because it has to do with type and efficiency of the voltage regulator in the camera.<br>

Wh = watt hours which is just volts x amp hours. This is also a capacity number.<br>

If the battery somehow fails catastrophically then that could be bad for the camera but otherwise I don't think it matters. It is unlikely that a failed battery can output a higher voltage than it is rated for. I use both Nikon and 3rd party. All I know is that the Nikon batteries have a much longer useful life. They can be charged/discharged many more times before they die.</p>

<p>Rechargeable batteries sometimes fail catastrophically while charging, or if shorted out.</p>

<p>Current recommendation for hoverboards, is not to charge unattended.</p>

<p>They could leak, but then they are still inside the plastic case. <br>

With a big enough price difference, I sometimes use other brands, but try to be a little more careful with them, such as taking them out when the charge gets low.</p>

<p> </p>

-- glen