Nikon eyepiece

glen_h

<p>In response to a question in another forum on lost eyepiece for older Nikon SLRs, I tried to post, but it seems that the limit for that forum is two posts per day. </p>

<p>It seems to me that it actually could go here anyway, so I am posting it here.</p>

<p>The 2925 is the normal eyepiece for many Nikon SLR (not digital) cameras.<br>

The popular auction site has genuine (so they say, and show the box) 2925, mailed from Hong Kong for USD 14.00, buy-it-now, shipping included. </p>

<p>Generic (no claim to be Nikon) DK-21 are available shipped from China for USD 0.77, including shipping. Again buy-it-now, and 523 sold. (If they aren't less than 0.25in thick, they cost more than USD 0.47 to ship first class within the US. Looks like they get a good deal on the postage.)<br>

The one I am looking at has a feedback rating of 80371 and 99% positive. </p>

<p>I don't see the generic 2925, but they might just be harder to find.</p>

<p>There is a big problem with older cameras, of losing a simple part, but not being able to find a replacement.<br>

Battery covers are common for those needing batteries. A replacement might cost more than the whole camera! </p>

-- glen

<p>Nikon is not always very clear about what fits what, but with the exception of the early F with the square finder, I think all the Nikon SLR's and DSLR's use only one of three sizes, which have gone through various changes of rubber surround. lock, and the like. There is the smaller 19 mm threaded one which all the older Nikkormats and Photomic F's and the like used, up through the original F3. There is the 22 mm. high eyepoint threaded one used in the F3HP and most, if not all, round eyepiece SLR's after that time. And there is a square type, used in various models including many current digital SLR's without threaded eyepieces. </p>

<p>Nikon's own compatibility chart makes finer distinctions between types, but those three sizes are all that really matters. If you have a square eyepiece FM 10, FG, N 65, D3200, D7100, etc., the same accessories will fit it. If you have a Nikon Photomic F or a Nikkormat or an F2 or an FM with a small threaded eyepiece, all the same accessories will interchange. If you have an F3HP the same accessories will fit an F100 or an F4 or one of the SLR's that now have HP threaded eyepieces. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yes, I have that chart too, and it's useful, but for those seeking odd bits or unavailable powers for obsolete cameras it's important to know that columns 1,2,3 and 6 are all 22 mm. threaded. The differences are in surrounds and locks, not in thread size. Columns 4 and 5 are both 19 mm. The last column is the square finder with slip-over accessories, which have remained the same, but not shared with the earliest F and Photomic finders.</p>

<p>If you use the wrong eyepieces you may find they interfere with back opening or don't lock right, or the like, but the threads do not vary. </p>