Some questions about the Fuji X-T1

<p>Hi :) After asking a question in the Nikon area of the forum, fully expecting to get into a second hand FF system, I have been pushed to investigate the Fuji X-T1 system and that's where I'm heading.</p>

<p>But... If I buy an X-T1 soon, will I regret not waiting for an upgraded body (X-T2?) or a price drop on the X-T1? I look at what's available in the X-T1 and don't feel like it's lacking anything I feel I need, and I love the image quality, but that possible upgrade is a niggling question for me.</p>

<p>I love the look of the 10-24/4 and that's definitely on my to buy list, but I'm stuck between the 18-135 and the 18-55. I feel like the 18-55 should be better for people or portraits, but time spent looking at images on Flickr leaves me feeling underwhelmed by its results for other users. The 18-135 looks like a very nice lens indeed, but is it as practical for a nearer subjects/people/portraits/walkabout as it is for use as a typical tele/zoom?</p>

<p>I know it's more expensive, but I can't help thinking that the Graphite looks amazing, so I think Fuji are taking my cash for that one.</p>

<p>Does anyone else have any opinions on the above? Thanks folks :)</p>

<p>Fuji cameras work great with Fuji lenses. Unfortunately they decided not to use in body image stabilization (like Sony, Olympus, Pentax do) so adapted lenses won't have IS. You can certainly buy a camera based on looks. I have. I had the XT-1 with the 18-135 lens. It's a very nice lens and covers a wide focal range, enough to handle most situations. Neither the 18-55 nor 18-135 are <strong><em>ideal</em></strong> portrait lenses; they are too slow. But that all depends on your own parameters for acceptable images.</p>

<p>Oh, and as far as price, that's what lead me to sell my XT-1. I did not feel it was worth the money I spent on it. Maybe buy used. Then you won't feel bad if the XT-1 drops in price. Historically though, there have been some GREAT Fuji sales before a new body comes out. I got a great X-Pro1 deal with a couple lenses just a couple months before the updated body came out.</p>

<p>WRT the XT2, nobody really knows when to expect it. A June announcement and June or July release seems likely, but that's just rumor and speculation. Expect it to be about a $1300 plus item. XT1 prices should drop, especially used.</p>

<p>WRT the lenses - personally I'm a big fan of the 18-55 and find it gives me excellent results. Some samples: https://flic.kr/s/aHskwaxmzv I had an 18-135 for a while, mainly because I got a great deal on it as a kit with my XT1 and wanted it for a long trip to Europe, but after the trip I sold it. I didn't love the image quality. It was good for a superzoom, but as Fuji lenses go it wasn't as good as my other lenses. If I'd come straight to Fuji from my old Nikon DX system and had no other Fuji lenses for comparison I would have thought it was great.</p>

<p>If portraits are a priority I'd make a strong recommendation for the Fuji 56mm. Either version - the APD has smoother bokeh but transmits less light at large apertures, so shooting at 1.2 you have to meter like you're at 1.7. This is because the APD filter in the lens is a sort of graduated vignette in line with the aperture. The effect is to "soften" the aperture. The center of the filter is clear so the effect only happens at f/stops larger than 5.6.</p>

<p>Then consider the XT10 to get your feet wet. A lot less $$ and not that much different from teh XT1. And smaller too. I have/like the 18-55 and the 14 but if you want portraits, then go 56/1.2 and I probably wouldn't get the APD.<br>

There will always be a new, next camera so at some point you just have to jump in. You may want to wait and see what the XT2 has since you can be sure that the XT1 will be lower in price and a portion of the population will swap upwards to the newer camera, esp since it'll have the 24MP sensor. The -10 is wonderfully small and light and very much like the old film Olympus' or Pentax LX</p>

Howard, that's a very interesting idea. I've been on the Fuji website and they have the XT10 and the 18-55 for £599 (refurb)

which is pretty tempting actually. That way I can get started right away and I can even wait for a while for theX-T2 prices to drop a bit if I want to... Or, if the upgrades don't appeal, I can just pick up a reduced X-T1 body... Hmmm.

The worse burst performance wouldn't bother me at all, but are there many other significant differences that I might miss

between the XT10 and the X-T1? How is the ISO adjusted, does it have to be done through a menu?

As far as the images coming out of the camera, it has the same sensor, but does it have the film simulation aswell?

<p>Keep an eye on the B+H-XT-1 18-55 kit for $1399.00, it comes and goes, not there now, but when it does it includes the , XT-1, 18-55 lens, 16GB Sandisk card, Travel bag, extra Battery and a lens filter that I don't use, but anyway an enticing deal. The 18-55 lens is one of the all time underrated lenses, this lens is great and not just a kit lens for Fuji to thin out inventory on. My XT-1 is 3 weeks old with me, still finding my way throughout the camera, doing well and constantly amazed. I attached a Really Right Stuff quick release base plate to it and it not only is aesthetically pleasing, but it allows my baby finger to land as my hands are big enough to be the baby finger away from perfect on the camera. This is a camera to go, go, go with, everywhere, everything. Amazing flexibility. I had the same dilemma over the XT-2, to wait or not to wait, and when I saw the XT-1 sale deal I jumped. The XT-2 being a mystery at this point and probably will be seen in August, the XT-1 is a powerful tool with the 4.30 firmware update. As its all going, I'm finding a path to a commitment to Fujifilm products and probably an XT-2 some day, if it proves out too be what we are expecting. The Fuji way is probably going to provide more than we expect from the XT-2. If this all sounds too fan boyish for some, so be it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>But... If I buy an X-T1 soon, will I regret not waiting for an upgraded body (X-T2?) or a price drop on the X-T1?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Good question, only you can decide. I've seen the Graphite version, it is really nice.</p>

That sounds like a great deal :o

Unfortunately, I'm in the UK though.

I think the Fuji refurb'ed XT10 with the 18-55 is probably my best bet at the moment. That lens doesn't come as a

package with the X-T1 at the moment and it retails at about £450, so at £599 that more or less makes the XT10 a £150

deal, which seems good to me. That way I can get shooting and still see what the X-T2 holds without being overly

financially committed to a body. I think I'm going to order one tomorrow.

<blockquote>

<p>If I buy an X-T1 soon, will I regret not waiting for an upgraded body (X-T2?) or a price drop on the X-T1? </p>

</blockquote>

<p>i would say, yes. i explained this on the other thread, but an updated sensor and improved AF is kind of a big deal for Fuji, even though the XT1 is a fantastic camera as is. and we'll probably see an XT2 this year, which makes a price drop on the 1 imminent.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>the Fuji refurb'ed XT10 with the 18-55 is probably my best bet at the moment</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think that's a solid choice at that price. Fuji has a habit of making baby versions of their flagship bodies which are almost functionally the same. and the 18-55 is really quite good.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>How is the ISO adjusted, does it have to be done through a menu?<br>

As far as the images coming out of the camera, it has the same sensor, but does it have the film simulation aswell?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You can set one of the Fn buttons for ISO or access it through Qmenu. not that big a deal in practice. All the Fuji x-cameras have film simulation. havent checked specifically but the XT10 should have every FS mode on the XT1. i believe the new XP2 is the only body thusfar with Acros however. </p>

<blockquote>

<p> The Fuji way is probably going to provide more than we expect from the XT-2.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, i dont know about that. i'm pretty sure the expectation is for the guts of an XPro2 sans hybrid VF in the XT1 body style which is more suitable for longer lenses and zooms than the rangefinder-esque model. It would be great if they kept the AF joystick thingy too. they may put some other refinements on it too, but if you look at the X100 line's product development, it took until the third iteration of that body, the X100t, for them to substantially tweak that, the 100s model was really incremental.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>That way I can get shooting and still see what the X-T2 holds without being overly financially committed to a body.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This was my approach too. I bought an XE1+18-55, then added more lenses while i waited for them to release better bodies. strongly considering an XP2, but i think i will wait for the XT2 before pulling the trigger. the XP1's are also super inexpensive right now, although there are a few more limitations with that because no on-chip PDAF.<br>

<br>

what i like about the "Fuji way" is they listen to their customer base and are a really photographer-centric company. it's easy to get a little fanboyish about their gear, but it's the little things which matter, like continuing to release firmware upgrades for older cameras, and having their entire product line be capable of the same image quality as their flagship bodies (well, at least until the 24mp XP2 sensor's arrival), and use the same lenses. They've actually addressed some of the aggravating things about Nikon APS-C in their lens offerings, which probably isnt a coincidence. <br>

</p>

<p>Just ordered my XT10 and 18-55. Didn't go for the refurb in the end and got it new for £65 more after cashback. I got the black version, the graphite looks awesome on the X-T1 but I thought the XT10 looked better in black (I think the XT10 must be a different process anyway because they call it silver).</p>

<p>The camera doesn't come with any memory included. I've been looking at the Lexar pro Class 10 UHSII 150MB/s (apprently UHSII doesn't work and defaults to I on this camera but shouldn't be a problem). These should be fine for my camera, right? They're a much better price than the SanDisk equivalent.</p>

<p>Do you think I'll want a screen protector or is it not worth it?</p>

<p>Thanks again folks, can't wait to get my XT10 now :D</p>

<p>Congratulations. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.<br>

<br />The ISO is can be set to be on any of the function buttons. I currently have it on the top of the 4way but as soon as I add a *tiny* dot of Sugru, I'll move it to the top Movie button (the Movie button is almost flush w/ the top deck which is fine if you want to prevent accidental movies, not so great as a general purpose Fn).<br>

I also have mine setup for manual focus mode (AF back button) and other Fn's are WB, Flash Comp & metering mode.</p>

<p>Well, I've had the Fuji for a couple of days now. </p>

<p>Honestly, I haven't had that much time to play with it, but it's certainly an impressive bit of kit and I've got a lot to work out on it yet.</p>

<p>I'll be honest though, it's still not a patch on my F3, haha. Ah well, into the future -I'll keep playing :)</p>