Concerned EOS 650 owner is this shutter Stick? Pls Hlp

dennis_w1

I need some suggestions I recently purchased an Eos 650 used it has

been working fine, Ive thrown around 10 rolls through it. The last

roll I proccessed about 5 out of the 24 exposure roll only half

developed the other half of the picture was black. Of course the

processor blamed the camera body. So when I got home I investigated

the Camera throughly and noticed that the shutter has some marks Ive

included a hyperlink below which clearly shows these marks.

http://photofabix.com/Can_650_Back.jpg

I did not notice these marks when I previously inspected the camera

after purchase? If this is the start of the dreded Shutter stick

what can I do. many thanks in advanced

Regards,

Dennis<div>004SAs-11204684.jpg.54b6a621733e6e882ab97dada5315c8f.jpg</div>

You can use a Qtip and some rubbing alcohol to clean it off with. I have heard that lighter fluid works, but I would avoid using something that would make the goo come out faster as it cycled into the shutter box. Alcohol evaporates so that you don't have somethng to leave a film and collect more dust. Be careful and don't apply a lot of force. try presoaking it for a few minutes to get the goo loosere and ready to be absorbed by the Qtip. Good luck.

Ok thanks for the response I worked at a bit with some rubbing alcohol it didnt get all of it off but it defintly looks better.

Question? Well this gunk affect the quality of a photo, if yes, does anyone know of permanant or semi permanant solution to fixing this problem? Im really hoping I didnt buy into a lemon, and have to scrap the camera, was really starting to love it. The build quality and the photos that it takes is just awesome. Thanks again

Regards,

Dennis

Yes, that's a classic case of oily shutter. You should be able to get most of it off by rubbing really lightly with a Q-tip moistened in rubbing alcohol, but be *absolutely* sure not to push hard. Just wipe back and forth for several minutes, changing Q-tips as necessary, and don't apply any pressure or you could wreck the shutter curtain. Remember to clean the other side (lens side) if there's any stuff there.

I have heard of people actually removing the decaying rubber shutter dampening thingy (stop me if I'm being too technical) as it's only there to quieten things down a bit. I don't know how to do it I'm afraid but it's reported to be a permanent solution to the problem you are having. Good luck and if you find out how to do it perhaps you could let us know? I have a 600 that's okay at the moment but you never know!

What's happening is the shutter bumper at the bottom of the shutter assembly is deteriorating & turning to that black goo. The shutter blades hit it & spread it around bteween the blades. It dries & causes the shutter to stick.

The official method of a permanent cure is to replace the shutter assembly. This will last for 10 to 15 years, before it happens again. So there really is no "permanent" fix.

Since it's questionable that the camera is worth the cost of replacing the shutter, cleaning it is usually the best method of fixing it. A thurough job of cleaning should last for at least several years before you have to do it again.

If the black stuff is dried thuroughly, all you have to do is clean the shutter blades repeadtedly. But if the stuff is still somewhat oily, there will be a bunch of this junk at the bottom of the shutter. The easiest way to get most of it out is to first use small strips of paper placed down the little slot just below, and right in front of the shutter blades (looking at the back of the camera). Once the paper strip hits bottom, move it around a bit & pull it back up. IF anything's still wet down there, the paper will come up with a lot of it. Keep doing this until you don't get any more. This is likely to take a long time & a lot of tries. Sometimes a little alcohol will get it flowing faster.

After you get any wet stuff out of the cavity at the bottom of the shutter assembly, or if it's all dried out, take the alcohol soaked Q-Tips & clean off the shutter blades from the back. From the front, lift the mirror out of the way & clean those blades if you can see any stuff on them. Then, with your shutter still wet from the alcohol, fire the shutter a half dozen times. Them clean any black stuff that reappears on the blades. Keep alternating between cleaning & firing the sutter until they stay clean. If there wasn't anything on the front shutter curtain before, there likely will be after cleaning & firing the back curtain, so got to the front & look again.

Use lots of Q-Tips & lots of patience. This is goint to take a while. But it does work.

The shutter blades really aren't all that fragile. You can even press a Q-Tip through the shutter (between the blades) & it usually won't do any permanent damage. If you get too carried away with this, you might knock a shutter blade out of it's track, but you can bend it enough to stick it back in with your fingers. They're springy enough to allow you to do this & then go right back into their normal shape.

After cleaning the shutter a couple dozen times (or sometimes more) your camera will be woring fine again and not likely to give you any more grief for a long time. The 600 series Canons are otherwise a very reliable camera.