What is the difference between lenses?

alma_jimenez

<p>I can't tell what the first lens is. I can't read the markings and have never owned this lens. The same photo in another thread (http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00eBlz) was identified as a first generation 70-200mm f/2.8 VR both by the OP and by Shun Cheung looking at the photo. If the original identification is correct, it would be the better choice for concerts, if it is in good condition.<br>

<br />The second lens is very clearly a 70-200mm f/4 VR. It is a lovely lens, one of my favorites, but only goes to f/4, and would not be the best choice for concert photography.</p>

<p>I use a 70-200 f/4 lens regularly for high school jazz concerts. Most are in reasonably good theater lighting, but some are challenging. In really dim or gelled light, auto focus may fail, but manual focusing works well enough. Jazz is not exactly action photography. Unless you are sitting close to the stage, you won't get closeups of individuals at 200 mm. If possible, I shoot from a balcony, where a 200 covers a whole row of musicians, but you can see everyone without interference.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It's Jazz concerts at my sons High school :)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If it's the kind of "normal" stage lighting, the 70-200mm f2.8 will work well. If it's pretty dark spotlighting kind of light, I'd go with a Nikon 85mm f1.8g.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

I agree with Edward. The high

ISO capability of modern

DSLRs, together with VR has

made large apertures much

less needful.

Consider; we were stuck with

400 ISO in film days. Whereas

today winding the ISO up to

1600 is commonplace, and gets

you better quality pictures

than any 35mm film ever could.

I've shot music performances

with a 300mm f/5.6 VR zoom

very successfully, under

"amateur" stage lighting. So

where do we draw the line in

this apparently never ending

need for speed?

<p>For indoor or night time usage, the 70-200mm/f2.8 has a distinct advantage over the 70-200mm/f4 for faster and more accurate AF. For various reasons one doesn't necessarily want to shoot at f2.8, e.g. you might want more depth of field, etc., however, I still prefer the f2.8 version for its superior AF capability.</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

I would not chose either for a concert. A prime would be a better choice such as the 180 f2.8 EDIF or any of the 135mm f2 lenses. If your close, a 85mm f1.4 would do the trick. Zooms are soft wide open besides slower. If you don't have any problem with that, either of the lenses you picked will do the job. Go with the one that has a better balance for handholding. Concert photos never have to be tack sharp.<br>

Rick</p>