Great Bag for Travelling?

jeremiah_mejia

<p>When traveling by air, I pack a tripod in checked baggage but the head in carry-on. In case of loss you can find a decent set of legs anywhere, but good heads usually have to be ordered. I prefer to use the smallest bag that will hold the gear I'm taking, no room for clothes. Then too, I'm not an overnight hiker. My favorite is one of the Thinktank "Airport" backpacks (I have 4 now). They are rectangular in shape for efficiency, and semi-rigid for protection.</p>

<p>Another company to watch is Mindshift (www.mindshiftgear.com). They are affiliated with Thinktank, and have a really innovative lineup, including bags for serious trekking down to a hymnal-sized bag for a GoPro.</p>

<p>how often do tripod legs get damaged if they're packed into your check in luggage? Cause i have a Manfrotto Compact Advanced Aluminum Tripod. Will the legs bend or something? Cause im sure airport staff handle luggage quite carelessly?</p>

<p>I've been travelling with tripod legs in checked bags for 20 years which I guess means 200+ flights on big planes, small planes good airports, bad airports. No damage ever. Tripod gets wrapped in T shirts/fleeces. My experience covers Manfrotto, alu and latterly carbon fibre. </p>

<p>do you think its even necessary to have a tripod holder on a bag? Cause i might want to take the same bag out and about travelling on the streets of some place. Or is it better to use the tripod case the tripod comes with and keep everything separate? </p>

<p>I always pack my light weight travel tripod and head into my checked in luggage. Never had damage in 20 + international flights.</p>

<p>Take a look at Crumpler bags. I have a few Crumplers, the best is the 'Sinking Barge' model - a camera pack with moveable internals for a pair of large lenses + camera body + photo accessories. It will will take a 17 " laptop (or heaps of 150mm grad filters and holders etc) and leave room for a water bottle and light change of clothes. Also has a damn handy removeable tripod sling for the outside of the pack which a travel pod sits in snugly when hiking - also has adjustable contoured shoulder straps and waist belt which are very comfortable with 12kg in the pack.</p>

<p>My answer to the OP's last question is that I don't need a tripod holder on a bag for streets. That's because a tripod is of marginal use and more than a little hassle in urban environments. I leave the tripod in a hotel room and on the few occasions its both necessary and practical in cities -eg skylines at dawn/dusk - I'll carry it specifically for those shots, and in my hand not attached to my shoulder bag (not a backpack) and without a tripod bag. The only time I attach a tripod to a camera bag is when I'm using a backpack, and in turn that's only when I think I'm going to need both hands to scramble about to balance (eg ice) , or get into precarious places. </p>

• 4 weeks later...

I'm starting to move away from dedicated camera bags just because I can't find exactly what I want. I have a few camera

inserts from Ape Case and Mountainsmith. They protect my gear very nicely. I then move them into 5-11 backpacks, LL

Bean under seat roller bag, Maxpedition Versipack etc. Usually carry on a change of clothes, shave kit, camera and lenses, computer, iPad, and cables all in one bag that fits under the seat or overhead. Tripod and less sensitive or less expensive equipment go in

checked luggage. Packed in the middle surrounded by clothing protected everything I had.