first time commercial job

Hi I'm drawing up a price quote for my first commercial product shoot.

the client wants various products shot on white background and a realistic background for use on the website, advertising, brochures etc.

4 questions:

1- is it ok for me to charge an additional design fee for photoshop isolation of these products? in other words if I shoot on a white background it isnt necessary a design ready isolated product. is it assumed that this service is included for product photography on a white background?

2- standard license would give them advertising usage and i would hold copyright. since these items are their exclusive design, engineered by them they may want full copyrights.. not sure how to price this.

3- should my quote also include my contract? or should i submit my quote and if they accept then send them a contract?

4- what is a reasonable expectation of how i should invoice and expect payment since this is a corporation. with private individuals i would never turn over the photos until I'm paid in full. Does same hold true for dealing with corporations?

thanks

<p>I'm sure others will chime in with more specific info, in the meantime I would recommend going to the ASMP.org site and looking over their paperwork share. To answer some of your questions, yes it is very common and recommend to have separate post processing fees spelled out when putting clipping paths on objects or any PS work. Transferring copyright can be three to four times the cost. </p>

<p>Question 4) It use to be common to get 50% of the overall estimate upfront with a <em>signed contract. </em>Now with internet delivery and online payment options, you still want to get a signed contract, but if your website allows it might be easier for your contact to pay (with a card not having to run you through their accounting dept) at the time of download. Depending upon the estimated clipping path work you might see it easier to quote based on a price per image rolling all your creative fees and production costs into a single number then dividing that into how many products you are going to photograph. The big benefit is if they add items during the shoot they already know it's going to cost x amount extra.</p>

--------------

My Architectual Photography:

Architectural-Cinematographer.com

<p>I create my proposals as basically contracts that include every. single. detail. such as rate, required deposit, how I'll deliver the images, when I'll deliver them, usage/licensing, how much retouching is included and how much I'll charge for add'l retouching. If it's approved, they sign it and send back and then I immediately invoice for the deposit. I don't hold the shoot date until I get the deposit and I say that in the communication as well as in the contract. I like to use Getty's image price calculator as a launching point and tweak it to the specific job: http://www.gettyimages.com/purchase/price-calculator/sb10069475ab-001. Also, I find the Pricing and Negotiating series on aphotoeditor.com indispensable both when coming up with rates and creating the language of my contracts: http://aphotoeditor.com/category/pricing-negotiating/. <br>

Good luck!</p>