EOS Rebel G Lenses & Lens Cap

brian_andree

<p>Hi, recently I found my moms old EOS Rebel G camera and I was wondering if anyone would direct me to a lens cap, and some lenses. Id like to use original things just for the vintage feel and nothing new or refurbished if possible. I believe I currently have the original lens on it. Thanks.</p>

If your Rebel G came with the standard kit lens, you may have the EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III. This lens has a 52mm filter

thread, then it uses a 52mm lens cap. Unfortunately for you, Canon changed their lens' cap design some years ago, so

you may want to look for an used lens cap in second hand stores or auction sites to retain the vintage feel you are looking

for. Otherwise, the Canon E-52 II is the current lens cap for lenses with 52mm filter threads. If lens caps adhere to other

Canon naming conventions, your original lens cap should be the E-52, but I'm not sure about this name.

Regarding other "Rebel G lenses", the only original lens for this camera was the kit lens, as I don't believe Canon

manufactured other lenses to be sold with the camera. Nevertheless all EOS cameras are compatible with all EF series

lenses, so you may want to look for other EF lenses from the same era. Being a Rebel camera, I would suggest to refrain

from using high end lenses, such as the L series, not because they won't work or there wasn't photographers using L

lenses with Rebel cameras, but because they may not feel vintage, so any old EF lens with a silver ring on it should feel

vintage enough to be used in your Rebel G.

As James said, that's a hot shoe. This is the place where you can attach an external flash to be used instead of the

internal flash of the camera. Reasons to use an external flash vary from preventing the internal flash to quickly consume

the camera's batteries, to having more control and reach.

All EOS cameras are compatible with Canon's EX series of flashes (or "Speedlites", as Canon calls them). The Rebel G

is an E-TTL camera, which means it uses a small "pre-flash" to measure the amount of flash intensity needed from the

external flash unit, followed by the actual flash fired at the time the film is exposed (many people won't distinguish the

separate flashes, but it is said people may close their eyes after the pre-flash, appearing with their eyes closed in the

actual photo). To obtain the proper exposure using the E-TTL capabilities of the Rebel G camera body, Canon EX flash

units should be used (if my memory doesn't fails, common flashes used with this camera may had been the 220EX,

380EX and 420EX; but it is compatible with older and newer EX flash units, these are just some models from around the

same period of the camera, and in a price range accordingly to the expected user of this camera at the time).

It is worth mentioning that the hot shoe is compatible with flash units from other manufacturers, either companies using

the dedicated E-TTL protocol (such as Metz), but also with most standard flashes. By "standard" I mean manual or

automatic flashes that don't rely on feedback from the camera to control the amount of light they produce. These standard

flash units may be set manually (they can have a chart with instructions to set the power based on the distance of the

subject and the f-stop of the lens), or automatically (using a sensor within the flash to measure the light, but also needing

the user to manually set some parameters in both the flash and the camera). While these standard flashes can offer good

results, it may be more cumbersome for a beginner to obtain these good results. Finally, and very important, you must

consider that some modern cameras may be damaged when used with some older flash units, as the voltage used to

trigger the flash can be too high for the electronic circuitry used in cameras designed to be used with dedicated flashes.