How about the new pluto trigger?

kevin_chan4

<p>85 GBP, requires smartphone. The device's website states nothing about user replaceability of the trigger's battery, which I'd consider important since the original one might die from overtime in a drawer...<br>

Why doesn't such a device offer to operate an ordinary cable release via solemnoid? Or at least come with another adapter cable to work the contacts of relectic cameras thriving to be compatible with old school csble releases?<br>

I'm not impressed, but I am refusing to own a smartphone.</p>

<p>I'm sceptical that such a tiny device can do all the triggering modes claimed. Sound triggering is pretty simple, although it requires a quiet environment. But light triggering usually needs a beam to be broken, and I see no emitter in the kit for that to work straight out of the box. There's also going to be a delay while the phone works out whether to trigger or not, by which time the event you're trying to capture might be over.</p>

<p>If you just need a simple remote trigger, then for far less money you can buy an ML-L3 for those Nikons that have an IR trigger capability, or a set of cheap RF triggers + adapter cable for those that don't.</p>

<p>Another consideration is that Bluetooth has a limited range by design. You'd be lucky to get it to work more than 25ft away from the camera. Whereas proper RF triggers will work reliably at twice that distance in urban conditions and a lot further in open country. Plus free apps are available for depth-of-field and ephemeris calculations. And if you can't work out ND filter corrections in your head, or by simply using TTL metering, then that's too bad.</p>

<p>Having said all that, someone has to buy one and check out the maker's claims. So go for it Kevin!</p>

<p>I did consider the <a href="http://miops.com">Miops </a>trigger some time ago, a similar device to this one, but somehow the whole story looks more convincing somehow. The price also looks a bit more realistic, to be honest. There are a few reviews on youtube, but hard to establish how independent those are.<br>

The ability to control with a smartphone is just some icing on the cake, and for me would be unnecessary. It's more the ability to use light or sound triggering that seemed like good fun to me. But in the end not enough fun to spend the money, so I still can't tell whether any of these actually do the trick. </p>

<p>Rodeo, it does have a laser pointer included. There is a unboxing video on youtube. <br>

I would say it will be stupid to claim so much if it does not have those features.<br>

Looks like they are giving away a lot of samples for test on twitter @plutotrigger. I will go for it after someone else make a independent review.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Hello,<br>

I made an independent review of the product on my blog. Sorry it's in french but you can use google translate the post here : http://blog.reflex-photo.eu/pluto-trigger-test-photo-haute-vitesse/<br>

you have some sample photo I made ... in my bathroom ;)</p>

<ul>

<li>Sound sensor : real fast, didn't think it will work at this speed</li>

<li>Laser : work, I prefer the cactus LV5 for now, but I'll retry</li>

<li>Light : work perfectly</li>

<li>Lightning : sorry, I'm south of France, no lightning these days ;)</li>

<li>IR (movement of animals) : seems to work, only tried with my hand in the dark...</li>

</ul>

<p>my 2cent ? It's amazing by itself and crazy for the price.<br>

Next step, review the accessory to come, a droplet thing :) <br>

Next Next step : build my own sensors since it's possible :)</p>

<p>note: yes my link in the post are affiliate link, no it doesn't mean I'm not independent and yes, using my link help me to continue to publish :) </p><div>00dzKu-563556984.jpg.6c9b55235b949e124f13d724e7e3fc05.jpg</div>