D5 is in hand

Barry Clemmons Photography

<p>I just unboxed my D5 and the first surprise is.......there is no free XQD card and reader. I would be interested to hear from someone else in the U.S. who ordered one to see if they received the freebies.<br>

I am charging the battery now and plan to run a quick high ISO test a little later and compare it to my D3S.</p>

<p>There are two negative reviews on DPReview regarding the noise and limited dynamic range of the D5. The results were largely dismissed in the comments by fans who feel that 14 fps and ISO 3.3 Million trump image quality.</p>

<p>http://www.dpreview.com/news/9402203921/nikon-d5-shows-drop-in-dynamic-range<br>

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0715893019/nikon-d5-studio-scene-comparison-published</p>

<p>Edward, when the D4 came out existing users of the D3s largely dismissed it because although it had increased low ISO dynamic range, the high ISO had experienced only moderate improvement. I know quite a few D3s users who never got a D4 series body because they didn't feel it had it in it. Now Nikon is trying something different with emphasis on high ISO (what little there is to improve before physics kicks in), high speed, and of course the new AF system. The D5 base ISO DR is about the same as that of the D3s, so it should be fine for those who stuck around with that camera (and an improvement in high ISO DR, which is where it is most needed to get a usable image in difficult conditions, with often off colour light sources that need to be corrected, requiring this dynamic range). From what I've seen the blue channel noise in darkness is reduced which would be fantastic when working with low K artificial light, if it works out the way I think it may. </p>

<p>Canon's 1D X was very successful as far as I can tell, with extremely high levels of enthusiasm from sports photographers and many top wildlife photographers use it as well (whereas the D4 and D4s were not). The 1D X has fairly similar DR characteristic to the D5 so again it would seem to be successful in this market, the base ISO DR would <em>not </em>seem to be the recipe, even though Nikon did try.</p>

<p>Ah, the perils of having to have the Latest and the Greatest just so that one can say that one has. . . the Latest and the Greatest. . .</p>

<p><a href="/photo/17506019&size=lg"><em><strong>Here</strong></em></a> is a hand-held night shot with the D3s at ISO 12800. <a href="/photo/17505721&size=lg"><em><strong>Here</strong></em></a> is another, this time in black and white. People want the most megapixels AND the best low-light, high ISO performance. It ain't gonna happen.</p>

<p>I'm not saying that the D3s represents the Apex of Western Civilization. In fact, I wish I had the D4 or D4s. It's a sickness. I try to keep it under control, along with NAS.</p>

<p>Sony? Sure, Sony is nice, but SAS will not likely be an improvement over NAS, especially if one is afflicted with both at the same time. I wonder if there are any documented cases of anyone having NAS, SAS, and CAS at the same time.</p>

<p><em><strong>The cure is Hasselblad or Leica!</strong></em> (Heaven help us. . . . )</p>

<p>Barry, none of this is directed at you, or at anyone else for that matter. Just reflecting on the human condition here. I hope you get these minor problems worked out.</p>

<p>As far as I am concerned, one cannot have a camera that is optimized for shooting low light/high ISO AND for shooting ISO 100 with near perfect DR at the same time. There are going to be some trade-offs.</p>

<p>Choose your poison.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>Lannie, no problem with me at all. I purchase what I need for the things I shoot. It was time to upgrade from my D3S. I skipped the D4 and D4S because the small improvement wasn't worth the money to me. I shoot a lot of high school sports in not so perfect lighting so two generations of even slight high ISO improvement will help. The other reason is for the improved AF system which should help with football. Anyway, some had asked about shots up to ISO 32000 so I just got a shot of a crow at that ISO. I have a lot going on today so I am trying to work some of these shots in when I have a few minutes. These were shot in RAW and then converted to jpeg in NX-D with no extra processing. It was shot using the 200-500mm lens because it was handy when I saw the crow in the backyard. The second shot is at 100%.</p><div>00drKI-562052784.thumb.jpg.73be32c8a2161829dce440fb74669408.jpg</div>

<p>I too think the low ISO DR "issue" is ridiculous. I would venture to guess that most who purchase the D5 would rarely shoot at anywhere near base ISO. If that is what one is looking for, then save a lot of money and purchase the D810.<br>

I moved the D5 over to my 600mm f/4 and captured a few shots. By the way, as far as AF it was instantaneous. Noticeably faster than my D3S. I thought I would do one shot at ISO 100. Conditions were overcast skies for this shot.</p>

<div>00drKn-562054584.jpg.3415868e33c83e00609a5304bf066d87.jpg</div>

<p>I need to play around some more with the D5, but my very quick initial impressions are:<br>

-The AF system will allow more "keepers" for fast action sports<br>

-I will now be comfortable shooting in the 6400-12800 + ISO range whereas with the D3S I stayed mostly around 6400 and occasionally 8000 for high school sports<br>

-I am not concerned about having "only" 12 stops of DR at low ISO<br>

-I will need to get comfortable with some of the buttons being moved<br>

-I can't say for certain that it is worth spending the money to move up from a D4/D4S since I have never shot with one, but for me it definitely is from a D3S</p>

<p>Barry, thanks a lot for your posts.</p>

<p>For every new camera (and for that matter every new lens), there are a lot of ridiculous claims from all sides. On one hand Nikon marking is giving us those ISO 3 million nonsense. On the other hand every tiny issue is blown way out of proportion to generate web traffic. There are plenty of sensational articles even on CNN.com and NBC News.com.</p>

<p>Chip, yes both are set to Auto WB. However the D5 has three Auto WB settings. The default is AUTO_0 and is called "Keep white (reduce warm colors)". I think that is the difference we are seeing. There is also AUTO_1 "Normal" and AUTO_2 "Keep warm lighting colors'. I probably have several weeks of learning curve to get it set up the way I want. I may even have to read the manual (ugh!).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The default is AUTO_0 and is called "Keep white (reduce warm colors)". I think that is the difference we are seeing.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Barry, there appears to be a very significant difference in color accuracy at 12800--a setting that I always thought that the D3s did pretty well with. The D5 shots look very clean and the colors look very, very natural. I am wondering how the improvements might carry over to shooting under street lamps and other challenging lighting situations. My black and white street shot (posted above) using the D3s did not have great color under the lighting from street lamps--thus the conversion to B&W. In other lighting, the D3s was excellent. It sure would be nice to have those extra megapixels, though.</p>

<p>From what I have seen so far, the D5 shots look remarkably crisp and clean, especially considering the substantial increase in megapixels. If I had the money, I would buy one myself. Good luck using it. I will be looking to see what else you post.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>thanks so much for posting. appreciate the high-ISO shots, but i'm most curious about how the D5 performs under low-light action conditions such as concert shooting, where you also need to maintain fast shutter speeds. any shots like that would be awesome. </p>