Sony a7rii and commlite/Nikon 70-200 f 2.8 - dark picures

I am new to mirrorless and just recently tried Sony a7rii, due to Nikon glass I have. I intended to use the Nikon G lenses with Sony a7rii

when I saw later reviews on the Commlite adapter which showed AF for the Nikon 24-70/2.8. Now that I have both the Sony and the

commlite and recently tried the Nikon 70-200/2.8 VRII, the photos taken by the lens and camera were severely underexposed/dark, even

though before pressing the shutter I could see that the exposre was adequate. I am surprised by the behaviour of the lens and camera

together as this is not my experience with the normal zoom (Nikon 24-70/2.8). While I can probably live with the AF issues with the 70-

200 (more erratic than that for the 24-70), the dark exposures are a big concern as the photos are unusable. I was hoping to have as

travel kit combination of the Sony body with the Zeiss Batis 25/2, Zeiss Batis 85/2.8 and the Nikon 70-200/2.8 VRII which i think is a

portable enough system. Is there anything in the adapter (I don't know which version the firmware is) or canera settings I have that can be

changed to correct this issue? And has anyone experienced this kind of behaviour from their end? Also, would the AF improve for both

lenses (I could see EXIF data and control shutter speed/aperture from camera) in case a firmware update is done (in case I have a dated

firmware). Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

<p>I would hope that if the lens stays fully closed as default the camera would compensate with a long shutter speed.... worth using curves or levels tool to check the shots are sharp and even rescue the/ some of the shots. ' Unuseable' is a very loose term and a lot depends on your editor and knowledge of using it<br>

Mu first thought was the EVF compenstaing to show you a clean image despite the wrong exposure? But maybe cameras set up exposure before shutter pressed fully. I had a similar experience before I tumbled to somehow the exposue bias had shifted without me being aware ... new camera multiple function wheel [ Panasonic MFT ]</p>

Dieter, I checked the version of firmware and it is

version 2 (current according to link provided). I

checked today and can confirm that there is control

of aperture and speed from camera by user. I also

followed JCs advise below, on the hunch that lens

is stopped down on release of shutter (I coukd

clearly see correct exposure on halfway press of

shutter but final photo underexposed - curiously

exif data shows exposure values on half pressed

shutter settings). I tried changing the settings in

camera, switching AEL on shutter to ON. Viola,

problem solved!

Thanks Dieter and JC. I would not have solved this

without your input.

• 5 months later...

<p>I have bought the Commlite <strong>CM-ENF-E1</strong> adapter last saturday with version 2 firmware, and updated to version 4. Firmware is on the commlite website available for this adapter.<br>

Please check the youtube video

on how to do the update, otherwise you might be puzzled, the video is very clear. Version 4 firmware with the adapter works very well, and many issues have been solved with the adapter.<br>

After playing with it for some days i am very happy to be able to use many of the nikon lenses now on the Sony A7RM2.</p>