How Important Is The Body for Shooting With A Canon 24-70 lens

ryan_trush

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>So I purchased a Canon 24-70 lens. I haven't had much of a chance to try it out much yet.....The body I own is a EOS Rebel T3.....how much does purchasing a new body effect my photos? Or should my regular Canon body be a ok for now?<br>

If a new body is recommended...what time is most recommended?</p>

<p>I plan to use my lens for mainly concert photography.</p>

<p>thanks!</p>

<p>Ryan</p>

<p>I can't completely answer your question, but I just upgraded from a Canon 7D with the 17-55 f/2.8 lens to a 5D Mk III with the 24-70 f/2.8 II lens and I've noticed an improvement in sharpness and color fidelity. I've pretty much deleted all the import presets I used in Lightroom and now start with the image straight from the camera. The 24-70 is a great lens.</p>

<p>For concert shooting however, you may be a little disappointed. The 24-70 does not have image stabilization and the Rebel T3 isn't all that great at high ISO. I really miss the image stabilization I had on the 17-55 and you may want to consider that lens for shooting concerts with your Rebel. It's a very sharp lens, has image stabilization, and opens to f/2.8. It's also a lot cheaper than the 24-70. Just a thought for concerts, but otherwise the 24-70 is great.</p>

<p>In reference to the last question, now is a good time to buy a new body. The 5D Mk III is being heavily discounted and you can get one much cheaper than in the past and also bundle it with a free printer and/or other goodies. A 5D Mk III and 24-70 f/2.8 is probably the most popular rig for professional photographers these days. It's also a large, heavy beast of a rig.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/986049-REG/canon_eos_5d_mark_iii.html">www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/986049-REG/canon_eos_5d_mark_iii.html</a><br>

</p>

<p>I much prefer this lens on my full frame 5D and 5D MK3 than on my old cropped sensor 20D. On the cropped sensor camera I did not the range, especially the 24*1.6 wide angle equivalent. Too narrow, especially at a wedding. </p>

<p>What types of concerts? What types of access will you have.</p>

<p>If you got the 24-70/f4, you are marginal in most low light concert situations and a better body will definitely help. If you got the 24-70/2.8, the extra stop may buy you some lower noise or less camera shake, but you are still somewhat marginal.</p>

<p>I shoot a lot of concerts (some photos <a href="http://bangbang.photo">here</a>) and find that I have to shoot at 6400 at f2.8 to get rid of subject motion and camera shake, even with decent lighting. I don't think your body will do well enough at those settings.</p>

<p>Thanks for the messages! I would say a good majority of the concerts I'd be shooting are club level. My lens is 24-70/2.8. What would you recommend Jeff? Your photos look great! Would you recommend the 5D Mk III to be better for higher ISO photos?</p>

<p>thanks!<br>

<br>

Ryan</p>

<p>A 7DMkII would keep the FoV that you have with your 1100D and the 7DMkII has very good high ISO capacity.</p>

<p>(Note swapping to any "Full Frame" camera will widen the FoV compared the 1100D you are presently using and that might be a problems for you, if you cannot get close enough to the performers?)</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>For concerts with varying light levels at the front of the stage, I would advise that you use two DSLR's both with prime lenses faster than f/2.8. I've noticed at different venues that press photographers with press passes who are able to walk freely at the front of the stage use the 16-35/2.8, 24-70/2.8 and/or 70-200/2.8 combinations. For press photographers with press passes at some open air stadiums, they will use a 400/2.8 on a monopod from the aisle of the lower tier seating area.</p>

<p>If I was in your position I'd buy two things; a Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 VC lens to use with your T3 body and a Canon 6D to use with your Canon 24-70mm 2.8 lens. The Sigma lens is very underrated, has VC (Sigma's version of Image Stabilization) and is a great bargain right now. Size wise and focal length it mates much better with your smaller T3 body. I use the 6D 24-70mm 2.8 combination and it makes fantastic images. It gives you the high ISO capability you need for concert photography. Good luck!</p>

<p>Why? A 6D will give him much better dynamic range and lower noise in concert situations. He's invested in a full-frame lens, so he should use all of it. There are legitimate reasons to shoot crop-sensor, but concert shooting doesn't fall into need for crop. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>A 6D will give him much better dynamic range . . . etc.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thanks, but the general statement <em>"Later, you should look to moving to full-frame"</em>, was in question, not why he should/could use specifically a 6D. I concur that a 6D will provide better DR and lower noise than his 1100D - so will a 7D MkII, (for example). Maybe I misunderstood the meaning of that post.</p>

<p>But, another two questions: in the main the rationale to buy a full frame camera is because of the investment in the 24 to 70, then "<em>all of that lens should be used"</em> and that is a good general reason to move to Full Frame - I don't understand that?</p>

<p>Secondly why (generally) isn't Concert Shooting a legitimate reason for using a 'crop' camera? </p>

<p>Not being picky and I think the 6D would be a great investment for Ryan, as would a 5DMkIII as would a 7DMkII - I just really don't understand the rationale behind the comments or it could be that I am misunderstanding the meaning that you want to convey.</p>

<p>Thanks, </p>

<p>WW</p>

<p> </p>

<p>He's buying lenses designed for full-frame and his shooting is not focal length limited, so there's no reason to shoot crop-sensor. Full-frame will be a better match for his best lens so far. The 6D and 5D3 have better high-ISO performance (DR and noise) than the 7D2.</p>

<p>Why would you suggest the 7D2? I own one and use it for focal-length limited shooting or when I need 10-fps. Our OP hasn't suggested any such needs.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Why would you suggest the 7D2?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>In my previous:<br>

<br /> > the 7DMkII has very good high ISO capacity.<br /> > swapping to any "Full Frame" camera will widen the FoV compared the 1100D you are presently using<br /> > <strong>that might be a problems for you, if you cannot get close enough to the performers?</strong><br>

<br /> The OP hasn't answered the question that I posed, so I don't know if his shooting scenario is focal length limited or not - all I know in that regard is that <strong><em>he is presently using an 1100D and a 24 to 70 lens</em></strong> - so an equivalent FoV (as I mentioned) would be to use another APS-C body - but I have no idea how close he can get if he were to swap to a 135 Format body.</p>

<p>WW<br /> <br /> <strong><br /></strong></p>

<p>6D and 5D3 have superior high-ISO performance to the 7D2. I own them all, The 7D2 poops out at ISO 1600 and gets crappy at ISO 3200 and 6400, where a lot of concert shooting is done. With a 24-70mm on a FF body, he has true wide angle to portrait focal length, which will be fine if he can be near the stage. If he can't be near the stage, then he needs to add a 70-200mm to his arsenal.</p>

<p>If he weren't a concert shooter, most of this would not matter, but he's going to need superior high-ISO performance, not "good."</p>