john_dixon5

Having just recently bought a Kiev 60, I am a little worried about

the lense securing ring, you turn it to lock the lens in place, but

it does not "click" into a locking position, seems to me it could

easily become unscrewed. Have any Kiev60 owners had any problems with

this, or is there any "fix" for this.

Thanks,

John Dixon

Yes, it dos not click into the position. But No, I had never have any problems with it and there is no need to fix it. The mechanism works differently than for e.g. Pentax67. In Kiev you �position� the lens and then turn the ring that operates using a thread (screw) to fasten the lens to the camera body. In Pentax67 you insert the lens and then turn it to �click� into its final position.

It' called a "breech lock" lens mount, originally developed for loading cannons, where it has to withstand thousands of pounds per square inch of pressure whenever the gun is fired. Canon SLR cameras used a breech lock lens mount for many years, but later modified it to a compatable bayonet. The main advantage is that it's self adjusting for wear, unlike bayonet mounts or even screw mounts. When tightened it's no less secure than a screw mount Leica or Pentax mount. Stop worrying!

I actually did find a few Kiev lenses that wouldn't mount on the camera at all. I guess they forgot to file of the metal burrs on the mounts. Anyway, don't worry about the lenses falling off though as other said, but do worry about their aperture linkage not engaging correctly with the camera because of the less than precision fit. Many of the Kiev and Zeiss Jena lenses I tried either didn't open up all the way after the camera was wound (which throws the TTL meter readings off), and/or they did not shut down to the smaller apertures when taking a photo, leading to overexposure. Keep an eye on the frame spacing issues--I lost portions of some very important shots due to overlapping frames and/or no film left for the last exposure from too big of a space. I also had a lot of problems with mystery body flare/light leaks no one could seem to fix that ruined many shots as well. AH Kievs!The price is so seductive.

John, on my Kiev 60, I've found that the Zeiss lenses have a trouble fitting properly (about 1/8 turn on the ring is all I can do). Even with this, they held up fine as long as I was careful and the ring was tight.

Andrew, the "mystery body flare/light leaks" you've mentioned may be caused by the big hole on the side of the Arsat 80mm lens, where the depth of field lever is. It definitely leaks -- big time. Try looking thru the lens from the back and moving the focus ring. You'll see what I'm talking about. Since you have a depth-of-field lever on the camera you don't need this one. So, cover it with a black electric tape and then go over it with gaffer's tape to hold the electric tape in place. I did this two years ago, have taken it to the field a few times and it has held in place. And the pictures are sharp and contrasty, even better than my Zeiss Jena 80mm/2.8 all-black lens. Also, if your Kiev 60 is not flocked, then get a flocking kit off of ebay for $10. The mirror chamber interior is glossy black, and that reflects lights quite a bit.

All in all, I find my Kiev 60 to be used more often than my Mamiya 645 and 7. The reason: I won't cry over it if I dropped it on the rocks. The pictures are pretty nice, too, especially with the sharp and contrasty Arsat 30mm lens.

• 2 years later...