Servicing used Nikonbodies

Rick Helmke

<p>Morning all,<br>

I have been out of circulation for a while and haven't done much photography but am getting back at it now. I have several Nikon bodies, way too many probably and am beginning to wonder about repair issues. I'm not worried about the film bodies for now but when I buy a new digital body it doesn't mean I just get rid of the old ones. I still have and use the D1X, D100 and D200. I like them and they do everything I need from them so I see no reason to dump them for the low prices they are getting. Is service and repair still available for these bodies? If the shutter goes bad can it be replaced? Is Nikon still supporting their older digital equipment? I sure hope so.</p>

<p>Rick H.</p>

<p>I've used Authorized Photo Service in Morton Grove, IL for my Nikon repairs for years. Although they are always swamped, they have always done a great job on Nikon repairs for me, in a timely manner, and within the range of their original estimate. Last repair was replacing a mirror box on an F5 which had been damaged in a fall. The agent I turned the camera over to told me, "you'll be glad to have it repaired rather than buying some piece of junk as a replacement...it is like a fine watch within a Sherman tank". Previously they worked an a D100 for me.</p>

<p>Given the current state of the market in film cameras, I think long-range planning is difficult. So many repair places that formerly were mainstays, like Marty Forscher in NY, have seen retirements, deaths, and just plain bad luck.<br>

Treasure the repair places that are still operating, but original manufacturer support for cameras and lenses that are over 10 years old is not on.</p>

<p>I have a couple of hundred film cameras including many Nikons. I just use them, with due allowance for their age. So far of these many cameras, almost all the ones that were working when I got them or that I fixed up myself are still working. I don't think I'd make them my sole cameras for a once-in-a-lifetime trip, of course.</p>

<p>If you have an F2, Sover Wong in England is the guru for repairs, cleaning, etc. Had one of my F2 bodies worked on by him and returned to factory specs. I think the cost was around $200 or $250 plus shipping. Debatable whether it makes economic sense but the F2 is still my favorite film camera (I have four of them). <br /><br />I'm still using my D200 (along with a D7000) and will likely keep on using it until it drops. Even if somebody gives me a D5 for Fathers day (hint, hint), it will stay in the bag as a backup, or maybe get handed to one of my kids. But if it dies on me, I would likely put whatever money it would cost to repair toward a newer digital body rather than getting it fixed.</p>

<p>Yes I'm asking about older digital bodies like the D1X and D100 both of which still get it done though my D200s are also excellent. I'm considering a D300 or D2X based on cost vs. use but still want to keep my others working. I also have older film bodies from my all time favorite, the F2, the F4S which is also a favorite, a Nikkormat FT2 and some N90S bodies. All very out of date but I still have a liking for film, especially B&W. I just find myself getting more annoyed at big manufacturers charging a lot of money for gear and then making new models while cutting support for what we already bought. I know, it's a business but a new camera every year is more than I want to buy.<br>

<br />Rick H.</p>

<p>Yes, digital, but the issues are the same, and repairs are made more complicated by the electronic character of the cameras, not less.<br>

I still say:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>original manufacturer support for cameras and lenses that are over 10 years old is not on.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There's no way that any manufacturer or repair shop can maintain an inventory of replacement parts indefinitely and even 10 years is optimistic.<br>

After a certain point it's like my friends years ago who kept 2 or 3 copies of British sports car bodies in order to have a source of parts. Older cameras also tend to eat themselves....</p>

<p>I guess this depends on where you live. I'm from Canada and I had no choice but to have my F6 serviced by Nikon Japan at great cost. If your local Nikon isn't able to accommodate you, and if third parties such as the aforementioned APS isn't an option, you really might have to contact Nikon Japan in some way. I had to go through a paid third party/broker.</p>

<p>May I respectfully suggest that anyone who spends big lumps of money on repairing old bodies, just to take photographs, wants his brains examining. However, if a particular camera of itself gives pleasure because of its looks, 'feel' or operation, that might be a different matter.</p>

<p>I have a small 'representative' collection of Nikons. Three Fs, F2, F4, F501, D300, D1x, etc. They all work, but I wouldn't spend money on getting them repaired. It rarely makes economic sense. The D1x illustrates the point. It is near mint, and I bought it from a dealer very cheap because it did not work. Even working, it would not have fetched much, and the dealer could not invest the time and money. The battery appeared to be working at the correct voltage and holding a charge. However, after a number of tests, I established it wasn't. A new battery - special to the model - cured the problem.</p>

<p>Within parameters, it provides very good images. It looks and feels impressive, but weighs a ton. Would I use it generally? Certainly not.</p>

<p>In any event, I've changed over to Fuji X. In feel, looks and handling, XT1 is as near to my F2 as any camera I have used. The lenses have the feel that Nikkors did years ago. The image quality is superb. Would I want to pay for the repair of old Nikon dslrs that would be inferior in performance terms? I certainly wouldn't!</p>