I have turned to the Dark Side!

tamandra

<p>...Or, the light side? Well I jumped ship from Canon to Nikon, at long last. I have contemplated doing so for a few years now, but had much invested in my Canon lenses and gear. I mainly love to shoot dogs in action, as in sports, so naturally autofocus is hugely important. I've had struggles with my Canon's for years upon years, having been shooting with their stuff for a decade now. I went through several 5DII bodies that they exchanged, having bad copies, and upgraded to the 5DIII and it wasn't all that much better with the same problems! I tried so many setting tweaks, but much of the time the damn camera would get some contrasty spot in focus, but miss the eyes, or they'd be sorta kinda sharp. Just hair pulling out crap. </p>

<p>I thought ok, I'll get the new 7DmkII and use it for action. Hated it!! Returned it, and decided go for it. Get the D750 I've been drooling over all last year. I'm in a wheelchair, so the swivel screen LCD is awesomesauce for me, where I had to hand hold below and aim and hope for the best with little dogs, or low angle shots. I just put it to the test at a protection dog sport trial, and am beyond thrilled with this camera!! I was getting shots I wasn't able to before, and the eyes almost always just so tack sharp it's freaky! I'm in love! The clarity, and just overall IQ of Nikons is amazing. Wish I had done this sooner! I thought it would be a huge learning curve, but I'm getting familiar with this camera so quickly. Not much practice, and I had a huge amount of keepers from this weekend's trial! Yay! </p><div>00dhPK-560331784.jpg.e51ae686bcf107dde0c126bfa4bc4895.jpg</div>

<p>Welcome to the Nikon side! I like my D750 (and the rest of my Nikon gear) very much. I must say that I agreed with those who advised you, in an earlier thread, against changing systems. However, given your experiences and requirements, it makes good sense. The only thing that matters is that it works for you.</p>

<p>First of all, welcome to the Nikon Forum as a user. I think you did get good advises on your earlier thread on the Canon EOS Forum a week ago: <a href="/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00dgPj">Disgruntled with Canons</a><br>

Canon makes a lot of fine cameras and lenses as well. However, personal preferences are highly subjective. I too have a D750 and like it a lot. If it works for you, that is great, but please don't expect Nikon to be panacea.</p>

<p>Funny, I've considered doing this, switching my main camera system to Nikon, as recently as this past weekend. I also own a Canon 7DMkII and was quite disappointed with the images I captured. Then I got to thinking, I wasn't being fair to the camera. I picked too slow a shutter speed for the conditions. I probably won't switch but it's very tempting. If I felt sure that Nikon's new 200-500 could out perform my Canon 100-400/1.4xTC combo, I think I'd switch for sure.</p>

<p>Case in point: this is one of my bad shots from the weekend. Horrible stiff wind blowing me and the camera around, and I set the shutter speed for 1/250. It wasn't the camera's fault...</p><div>00dhQh-560335484.jpg.1156c69a6d1b9864d814cccbc13e5a81.jpg</div>

<p>In the end, you've got to feel good about a camera, and about using it. It has to do what you want it to do. Which brandname it carries is pretty secondary to that. <br>

So.... Welcome to the yellow team! <em>(that's easier than dark/light side, as photographers we do need both a dark side and a light side, so I rather don't choose between those two!).</em></p>

<p>Actually Eric, my comment was not offense: I couldn't care less: my point is that we all have a honeymoon period with stuff, after which the novelty wears off and one begins to see the pros and cons more clearly. That is what I meant. One irritation I have is of reviews online that read. "I've had this a week and it is the best!" or similar, or even worse, "I haven't actually used it yet, but this will be the answer for me" etc etc. Check back in a year and you find they've traded or sold it. That is all I meant. Personally, I think either Canon or Nikon will work fine, and the differences between them are not usually significant taken as a whole. I think the Nikon D750 is a good choice.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>People switch brands all the time; there is no need to over-react.</p>

<p>I switched from Minolta to Nikon way back in 1977. Back then Nikon was by far the pro market leader and was the obvious choice. If I had started in 1989 or so after Canon had introduced EOS with the EF mount and AF, I could have chosen Canon and I am sure it would have worked for me as well.</p>

<p>Robin, I think you make a great point. I can see a "honeymoon influence" on much online camera discussion. My personal interest in photography is about the photos but also about the gear. I like getting new gear, much like a child wants a new toy. This feeling probably drives at least some of the camera market :) Anyway, I think it is good to be mindful of this dynamic when scanning forum content. </p>

<p>I hope the OP continues to enjoy her new Nikon. As Shun pointed out, Nikon is not a panacea but they do make excellent cameras. Just like Canon and others do. Just based on my few visits to the Canon forum, I sense there is a lot more petty griping from Team Yellow, so just a forewarning about that ;)</p>

<p>i'm mainly interested in the specific things in the d750 which are working better for the OP than the 5DIII and 7DII. both of those seem like pretty capable cameras. it sounds like her 5DIII has some issues, but the 7DII is supposed to have advanced AF.<br>

from DPReview:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The Canon 7D Mark II introduces a brand new autofocus (AF) module inspired by the professional level AF system in the Canon 1 DX. It features 65 AF points spread across a significant portion of the frame, with especially wide horizontal coverage. All of these AF points are cross-type (when using lenses with a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster), with the center AF point capable of high-precision, dual cross-type focusing with wider aperture (f/2.8 and faster) lenses. Additionally, the center point is capable of focusing with lenses (or lens/teleconverter combinations) as slow as f/8, as well as down to EV -3. This gives that center point a 1 EV advantage in low light compared to the 1D X and 5D Mark III.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So, is the D750 noticeably better? and if so, why? Technically, it has fewer cross-type sensors than the Canon, so is the difference face detection? Subject tracking?</p>