NEC Spectraview II (in Europe).

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I am situated in Denmark and I was just about to pull the trigger on a NEC PA272W monitor. I found a good deal on one for around 880€. I recently found out though that in Europe NEC does not sell their Spectraview II software or puck separately as they do in the US. It seems this is to encourage consumers to buy the dedicated Spectraview models which are exactly the same monitors with a hood and software license (maybe a hardware calibrator?) for over double the price! </p>

<p>I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience with the following please:</p>

<p>1) If you bought a software license via an American store and brought it back to Europe and entered your serial number is the (European) monitor able to be calibrated via the Spectraview II software or is it "chipped" to avoid such a work around?</p>

<p>2) Is anyone achieving outstanding Spectraview results with third party (non NEC) software and calibrators on the PA272W?</p>

<p>thanks in advance for any help you can offer me here.</p>

<p>George</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I own a 272.<br>

You may want to check luminous-landscape.com in their forums (and others). As I recall, quite a few long discussions on exactly this topic but I forget the ultimate outcome.</p>

<p>Also, as far as I know, BasICColor Display is the only other software that can program the internal LUTs of the monitor (since that software *is* what NEC sells in Europe as their Spectraview s/w). The NEC branded puck will not work w/ generic i1Profiler software. It's chipped so that it'll only do NEC monitors. I personally use an i1Pro and that works w/ SV, i1Profiler and BasICColor s/w.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input Howard.</p>

<p>I just got off the phone with BasICColor in Germany. It seems they are actually the company which has developed the Specrtraview software for NEC. Yes, since the start of 2015 their product BasICColor Display is fully compatible with the NEC PA272W (amongts other NEC monitors). The man, very helpful indeed, told me though that the PA range is not handpicked like the range of Spectraview Reference monitors. He said there are variations in the quality of the PA / multisync monitors being sold and one can be lucky or unlucky in terms of getting a really good one. </p>

<p>Yes, for a long time, it was rumored that BasICColor Display supported the hardware LUTs since it was known that they developed the SV software (at least the European version). In early 2015, they finally advertised as feature w/ full support. I will say that it's user interface leaves a lot to be desired.</p>

<p>I've had the 241 and now the 272 and in the USA, they do not sell the 'Reference' which is supposedly hand-picked off the production line, etc etc etc. No one has ever been anything but completely impressed w/ the Spectraview. Here, if you actually got a 'bad' one, NEC support is very good and they would replace it if it was not up to snuff.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I just got off the phone with BasICColor in Germany. It seems they are actually the company which has developed the Specrtraview software for NEC.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not the US software. That's developed here in the US. They do create the non US software product. Anyway, as Doug reports, the US software should run on any supported SpectraView. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)