Sekonic 758 camera profiling

RaymondC

<p>I don't have this yet. I have watched videos and I have a question. After you have the profile set you have additional information such as the calibrating the meter to be more accurate and information re: its dynamic range. If you are using the reflector meter - not everything are 18% gray so if you point it to a a white car or a black car or white clouds you would still need to do arithmetic in your head right? I guess you if you had grey foreground and mid tone blue sky you could use that.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>If you are using the reflector meter - not everything are 18% gray so if you point it to a a white car or a black car or white clouds you would still need to do arithmetic in your head right?<br>

To this question - the spot meter would show the numbers which would get the correct exposure. However you know that if it is a white cloud you can open up the aperture by a couple of stops while if it is a black subject you would want to take the reading as it is. And you can use the ISO2 button to calculate for the exposure compensation by 2 stops everytime you press it so that way you don't have to do the calculation in your head.</p>

<p>I see what you mean now. I don't have the device but kind of get you. </p>

<p>Once you do the doo dah and it is all calibrated. You can spot meter on some mid tone mountain and you have a bright sky. You can spot meter the bright sky and you can get the device to compensate it? So with that in mind - if it is not outside of range it won't start going nuts. </p>

<p>I also still shoot some film for my enjoyment. If one isn't calibrating the meter. That shouldn't pose an issue right? </p>

• 4 weeks later...

<h1 > </h1>

<p>There may be easier methods to calibrate your camera & film & processing, but the best way I know is the "Beyond the Zone System" by Phil Davis. I believe that I've heard that Davis has said that it won't work for color film, nor digital, but I don't see why not. However I have not tried it for color film, just B&W film. <br>

I think Sekonic sells a folding & I assume very accurate gray card & have a way to calibrate your camera & meter. Photographers (including myself) should calibrate their camera's exposure system &/or external meter to avoid chimping.<br>

Best wishes, Jay Drew</p>