Lens Cover for FD 300mm F2.8...any suggestions?

gabriel_gerena

<p>Black absorbs heat...not good in warmer climates during the summer, as it can cause outgassing of lubricants within the lens unit. That said, for about $4-5 you can easily sew up a good cover, I've done it for a variety of long lenses.</p>

<p> I have a Tamron 300mm f2.8 and the cover that came with it was a poor fit, I was driving dusty roads with lens mounted on a body on the seat and I ended up getting some bowl covers with elastic around the edges. They stayed on, where cheap under a $1.00 they weren't the best looking but they worked better than the tamron one and where available I'm a choice of colors.</p>

<p>A cheap, but somewhat inelegant solution to covering any sort of large lens opening, whether a 300/2.8 or a telescope, is a shower cap. Hey, it may not be the prettiest looking thing, but it works.</p>

<p>BTW, I agree with John. The nice, leather-looking cover for my Tamron 300/2.8 slips off too easily. I've been thinking about gluing a thin felt strip into the inside perimeter of the cover, which should snug things up. </p>

<p>I think you guys (the last three) are probably describing something different from what the OP was asking. He's looking for a full-length jacket for his lens-- neoprene or some similar material.</p>

<p>If it were just to cover the lens opening, I'd always suggest an <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=optech+hood+hat&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=">Optech Hood Hat</a>. I find those things are terrific. They're inexpensive, and they come in all sizes.</p>

• 4 months later...
<p>You can find neoprene sheets on the web, very much like the ones sold by Lenscoat. With a good cutter and glue, it's easy to make your own tailor-made version. Might not end as professional looking as Lenscoat, but it should offer the required protection nonetheless. If you know a seamstress, she might be able to put some stiches to reenforce the glue.</p>

• 5 weeks later...