justin_fullmer1

Here is a silly thread for fun. I was just wondering if anyone out

there have both a mamiya tlr and a yashica. It seems to me that my

Yashica mat with the yashinon lens is sharper and has better overall

contrast than some of my blue dot mamiya tlr lenses. Anyone out

there with the same experience. It is frustrating because I paid

less than 200 for the Yashica and more than twice that for the Mamiya

gear.

Yeah, I have both. I would never consider the Yashica close to the Mamiya. I have an older Yashica, so that may make a difference. The 65mm on my C33 is stunning, even though it's from the old chrome series. I use the Yashica sometimes as a light-weight hiking camera, but it is no replacement for the Mamiya. I also use a Koni-Omega 6x7 as well. It is great hand-held, especially with TMY, but it isn't as sharp as the Mamiya either, but I still like it better than the Yashica! Just the filters and shade problems with the Yaschica are enough to make me grab one of the others. I keep playing with the Yashica though, trying to find its best niche--it sure is light!

I had a couple of Yashicamat 124G's over the years and was never that impressed. I borrowed a C330S and 50-80-180 Super set a few years ago and was equally unimpressed. Lots of flare and loss of contrast outdoors with all the lenses (admittedly I didn't have lens shades), and the whole shebang was pretty heavy. I got a 1963 Rollei 2.8F Planar and eventually a Hasselblad system, pricey yes but the value is there in the image quality.

I think it's all down to Yashica's spotty quality control. My 635 has the 3-element lens (what is that, the Yashikor or Yashinon, I can never remember...). I can hardly tell photos taken with it apart from those taken with my Rollei 2.8C with S-K lens. But that's probably just dumb luck.

I also suspect that some of the reported unsharpness associated with some Yashicas may be due to the cameras/lenses having been bumped or dropped, or the optical elements becoming decentered due to old cement.

The advantage to the Mamiya, of course, is that you can always keep trying lenses 'til you find a good pair.

I've owned both the yashica & the mamiya starting with a 124 & c220.

I've still got the 124 & c220 recently adding a c330s to my stable.

I find that the 124 is just right for casual use when weight is a

bit of a problem and time isn't. When it's critcal it's always the

mamiya's I choose. So I guess in the end it's a matter of the right

"tools" for the job.

• 1 month later...
I am lucky to have a Yashica Mat 124 with an excellant lens, as I have taken many sharp photos with this camera. I also have a Mamiya C3 and C220 that I get very good results with as well. After reading this message I looked over some of my photos taken with both cameras to see if I noticed a differance. Of course I only compared the shots taken with the 80mm on the Mamiya, since this is the same size lens on the Yashica. I could not really see any clear distinctions between the photos taken by both cameras, as they both were sharp and with nice contrast. Of course the Yashica should be less cost, because you have to deal with using a fixed lens, without the conveniance you have with the Mamiya of interchangable lenses, which is why I bought a Mamiya in the first place. If both work for you then use them both. When I go in the field I always take my Yashica with me along with at least one on the Mamiyas. They are both great cameras, and each has its use, advantages and disadvantages.