Mamiya and Bronica

LisaImmarco

<p>Hi, all. A friend of mine recently gave me her deceased husband's cameras (except the Hasselblad, which he had sold...sigh...). Not very familiar with medium format, although I played with a Polaroid land camera years ago. There is something called a Mamiya C330 professional. Also a Bronica Zensa, or Sensa (cameras not in front of me, my apologies).</p>

<p>Are they good cameras? What's the difference in quality, if any? And can someone direct me to tutorials for them? There is a hood too, not sure which camera the hood goes on, and how to put it on. </p>

<p>Also, recommendations for favorite medium format film would be appreciated.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>The Mamiya C330 is a well regarded twin lens reflex ("TLR"). You can still get <a href="http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/assets/files/documentation/C330_Instructions.pdf">a manual for it</a> from Mamiya (so far!) It can interchange lenses, but the lenses are in pairs, one viewing and one taking lens. 80mm is pretty much the norm for 6x6cm frames.</p>

<p>The Bronica with "Zenza" on it is probably one of the earlier models of single lens reflex cameras made by them. In good working condition they are excellent cameras also, but as old as they are might be a bit more cranky to use successfully. These too have interchangeable lenses -- if the 60mm lens is just a single barrel, not a pair, it is probably for the Bronica. <a href="http://www.butkus.org/chinon/bronica.htm">The Butkus site</a> has manuals for most of the Bronicas. The trick will be to figure out which one you have.</p>

<p>Film -- should be 120 -- in B&W there are numerous offerings from Kodak and Ilford and Acros 100 from Fuji, which I like for a lot of work. There are several Kodak color negative films -- Ektar 100 is one of the most recent. I shoot mostly B&W but process it myself, not sure how easy it is to get that done commercially these days, even color is trending toward mail order.</p>

<p>There's a start.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Gi Lisa - both good cameras. I've had a couple of late Bronicas (ETRS and ETRSi). Lusted over the Mamiya C330 Pro, but realized it was just a little too big for my needs. If you can't use them, they should sell well on the big auction sites if they are in good condition.</p>

<p>In my comments above I was thinking the "Zenza" part of the name was more prominent on some of the earlier models; though in a quick look it does appear in more places than I thought on my SQ-A gear. One thing about lenses, there is usually a bunch of data engraved in the retaining ring of the front element that would potentially provide useful data here. The earlier Bronicas I was thinking of were models like the S, S2 and EC -- some of those had at least some lenses that were Nikkor or other manufacturers. Detailed info from the retaining ring could provide some clues as to which Bronica we're looking at.</p>

<p>Especially on some of the accessories, the Bronica model designations have seemed to me a bit sparse; almost as though "you just have to know."</p>

<p>(Wishing somebody would give me a Mamiya C330!)</p>

<p>I just checked on eBay and got a hit on a Bronica PE 60mm f/2.8 lens. The PE lenses are for the Bronica ETR-series. So perhaps this Zenza Bronica is an ETR-size camera? That is, a 6cm x 4.5cm. I own a Bronica ETRSi, a 645 Bronica, and I love mine. So if yours is an ETR-style Bronica, I'd say it's worth keeping and shooting with. The Bronica ETR-series cameras are the best of all the manual-focus 645s IMO.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi everyone, thanks for all the responses, and sorry for my late response. For future reference, I have an auto-immune problem, and have good days and bad days. So I don't always respond so soon to my responses, but please never think I ask a question and take all these kind responses for granted.<br>

I checked again, and the Bronica is ETRS, and it's definitely a 50mm lens, can can go down to 1.8! The manufacturer is Zenzanon, I believe (not in front of me). There is a box with accessories, and when I start shooting 120 I'll come back and ask what they are, if you don't mind. There is also a hood, the kind you see the pix of old style photographers looking down into, but I can't figure out whether it's for the Mamaya or Bronica. Or how to put it on, lol.<br>

Dave Thomas, I hear you about "I wish someone would give me..." I usually don't have that kind of luck! I usually have to work to the bone for everything so I was shocked! There was also a Canon AE-1, a Canon F-1, step up rings, zoom lenses, a Sunpac, etc. <br>

Of course, gift-horse-mouth-looker that I am, I'm also thinking about the Hasselblad I DIDN'T get 'cause it was sold...<br>

Maybe my luck has changed. That would be so nice....</p>

<p>Hi everyone, thanks for all the responses, and sorry for my late response. For future reference, I have an auto-immune problem, and have good days and bad days. So I don't always respond so soon to my responses, but please never think I ask a question and take all these kind responses for granted.<br>

I checked again, and the Bronica is ETRS, and it's definitely a 50mm lens, can can go down to 1.8! The manufacturer is Zenzanon, I believe (not in front of me). There is a box with accessories, and when I start shooting 120 I'll come back and ask what they are, if you don't mind. There is also a hood, the kind you see the pix of old style photographers looking down into, but I can't figure out whether it's for the Mamaya or Bronica. Or how to put it on, lol.<br>

Dave Thomas, I hear you about "I wish someone would give me..." I usually don't have that kind of luck! I usually have to work to the bone for everything so I was shocked! There was also a Canon AE-1, a Canon F-1, step up rings, zoom lenses, a Sunpac, etc. <br>

Of course, gift-horse-mouth-looker that I am, I'm also thinking about the Hasselblad I DIDN'T get 'cause it was sold...<br>

Maybe my luck has changed. That would be so nice....</p>

<p>Hi Lisa,<br>

Sorry to hear of your health problem - hope there are more good days than bad!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Bronica is ETRS, and it's definitely a 50mm lens, can can go down to 1.8!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If this lens fits the Bronica ETRS, it can only go down to f2.8. There are hardly any medium format lenses which reach f2 or faster - and certainly no 50/1.8 lenses, as that would be a superfast wideangle (but wouldn't that be awesome?!).</p>

<p>If it really is an f1.8 lens, it's probably for the 35mm Canon bodies you got.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If it really is an f1.8 lens, it's probably for the 35mm Canon bodies you got.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I suspect Ray is correct, a Canon FD 50mm f/1.8 was pretty much standard kit on the Canon AE-1 (and is actually a very decent lens). It will also do nicely on the Canon F-1. But if so, it should say Canon on the ring around then lens in the front. The Bronica Zenzanon and Canon FD lens mounts are totally different and incompatible, so you will soon sort it out! 8-)</p>