Adapting Leica R lenses to a common filter diameter.

agustin_barrutia

<p>Hello group! <br>

I got together a kit of Leica R lenses and I´m a bit lost on the filter diameter of them.<br>

I will use them for Video so would love to get them all to a same diameter with step up rings, lets say 72mm, and use a 72mm ND variable filer. <br>

I see that most of the lenses i got have special diameters numbered as Series VIII, etc, and Im a bit confused on which adapters do I need.. <br />Do anyone have an online resource where I can get all the diameters needed? Is it easy to get the adapters (stepup rings) im asking for?? <br>

the lenses are a <br>

24mm elmarit<br>

28mm elmarit<br>

35mm elmarit<br>

50mm summicron<br>

60mm Macro<br>

90mm summicron<br>

135mm Elmarit<br>

180mm Elmarit<br>

Thanks very much!</p>

<p>Agustin Barrutia,<br>

Bs As, Argentina</p>

<p>The series adapter rings, which were quite popular in the 1940-60s, are quite easy to find. I've purchased a number on Ebay for some of my 1950s cameras so that, like you, I could use more modern sized filters. Doug Herr at www.wildlightphoto.com lists the filter sizes for many of the R lenses. You do need to contact him directly to get access to the info on his site, but, as a reference, it is well worth it.</p>

<p>Do note that for a number of these lenses, later revisions of the lenses had regular filter diameters; out of your list, I have the 60mm macro-elmarit and 90mm summicron, both with 55mm normal filter (while earlier versions of both lenses came with Series 7 or 8 filters). <br />So a first step would probably be to get clear which exact 'version' of the lens you have, and then see which filter sizes.<a href="http://www.forloren.dk/lbf/leica_lens_serial.htm"> This site</a> helps mapping the serial to the year of production, and then there are various sites which can supply additional detail per lens.</p>

<p>Guys, I got the list of adapters I need. Some lenses are Series 7, others are Series 8 and one of them is Series 6. <br />Do you have any source for step up rings from these series to 72mm??? I cant seem to find any online! Band H said they dont stock these kind of adapters, which seems quite rare.... <br>

The info I Sourced (from this link: http://www.apotelyt.com/photo-accessory/series-filters )</p>

<p>Serie 8 --- RETAINING RING 66.7mm<br>

Serie 7 ---- RETAINING RING 54.3mm<br>

Serie 6 ---- RETAINING RING 44mm</p>

<p>I´d really apreciate any stores that sell these type of adapters. </p>

<p>Thanks!!</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Agustin,</p>

<p>Series retaining rings have different thread pitches than regular MM filters! They are based on SAE threads not metric.</p>

<p>Series adapters screw in to lenses (or slip on) that have standard mm filter threads; ie a Series 7 to 49mm filter adapter lets you use Series 7 filters on a lens that takes 49mm filters. What you want is the REVERSE. A lens that uses Series 7 filters needs an adapter that has Series 7 MALE threads and 49mm FEMALE thread.</p>

<p>Good luck finding one! They are RARE. Very rare. I have a Series 7 MALE to 52mm Female that I bought from Spiratone back in the 70's. They are long gone.</p>

<p>You *MIGHT* find one on ebay. Otherwise, you will have to have them custom made. S.K. Grimes can do it but be prepared to spend $75 or more for EACH ring.</p>

<p>http://www.skgrimes.com/<br>

401-762-0857<br>

<br>

In the past I have taken a Series Type double retaining ring and filed off the FEMALE part and epoxied a normal stepping ring to it after filing off the MALE thread. For example, remove the FEMALE part of a Series 8 double retaining ring. Then take a 62mm to 72mm stepping ring and file off the 62mm part of the ring. Now epoxy the 72mm female ring to Series 8 MALE ring and you are set. Series 8 to 72mm ring.<br /><br>

<br>

Good luck!<br /></p>

• 7 months later...

<blockquote>

<p>Good luck finding one! They are RARE. Very rare. I have a Series 7 MALE to 52mm Female that I bought from Spiratone back in the 70's. They are long gone.<br /> You *MIGHT* find one on ebay. Otherwise, you will have to have them custom made. S.K. Grimes can do it but be prepared to spend $75 or more for EACH ring.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hey Agustin, just like Anthony said these adapters (going from Series thread to Metric threads) are EXTREMELY RARE. Anthony is not kidding. These adapters have been like looking for a needle in a haystack as very few were manufactured.</p>

<p>Fortunately for Leica photographers I have just solved that problem (at least for Leica lenses with Series 7 threads!). Please see my thread that I just posted. I found 2 perfect adapters for lenses with a Series VII / 7 thread.<br /> Now you can use ANY normal size metric filters on your Leica Series VII lenses!<br /> http://www.photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00e0Lo</p><div>00e0NT-563751784.jpg.0adfbc1d4416e6c7f030e09923c6fded.jpg</div>

• 1 month later...