Tablet Computer (Surface Pro4) for Photo Editing

<p>Hi Folks. Does anyone have any experience using a tablet computer for photo editing, either with Photoshop CC or Lightroom? While I have a full fledged desktop machine with a calibrated monitor and a notebook PC with 17" display, neither are conducive to travel or use in a place other than my office. I've used an ASUS tablet with an Atom processor and 2GB RAM with Nikon Capture and paint.net, but the system is very sluggish and you can't run Photoshop on that platform.<br>

Recently, I've been reading about the Surface Pro4 tablet from Microsoft. Granted it's pricey, but I think it might make a useful tool for editing photos as I travel or even lounge around. I'm not looking for the high end system, but was considering their Intel i5 version with 8GB or 16GB RAM and a 256GB SSD drive. That should allow me plenty of power to open RAW files and edit them on the road as long as I also take along an external hard drive. Additionally, the pen that comes with the tablet supposedly has 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity, so it would be a lot like using my Wacom tablet.<br>

Is this sound logic? Any thoughts? Advice is appreciated.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Rick</p>

<p>Sound logic indeed, I'll get one the second I can convince myself I need it (which I really do not). Do keep in mind that LR and PS aren't touch optimised, so the pen is quite needed (and/or bring a mouse; I'd certainly get the keyboard with the Surface, which has a touchpad). It's not really "tablet use", but that doesn't matter much: the Surface Pro series are basically notebooks anyway. Not much different from the tablet you had, and if that worked for you, the Surface Pro will only work better.<br /> Do consider the Surface Pro 3 as well - it can be found at nice® prices now, and it's not miles behind the newer model. It can use the newer keyboard introduced with the 4, which apparently is quite a lot better.</p>

<p>In short, yes!</p>

<p>I have the 'full blown' i7 workstation with ProArt monitors and a Wacom Intuos Medium pad. BUT...</p>

<p>My worthy Surface 2 is the mobile answer. I use it with tethering software connected to the camera. It is loaded with the second installs of PS CC (Lightroom & PS), as well as other photo software. It fits conveniently in the back slot of my Ruggard Thunderhead 35 kit backpack.</p>

<p>You can use the native pen, or even get the small Intuos pad to navigate and edit. I use mine for offloading, bulk processing raw NEF, and cataloging on trips. Superb for quality check of images and a deeper level of pixel peeping. Although it can easily accomplish more complex PS tasks--I choose to reserve those for the digital darkroom workstation.</p>

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

<p>We have one at work as a test - the display quality is fantastic, and the pen support is pretty good (I use a Wacom Intuos 5 at home). At 1024, it's half as sensitive as the more "Pro" oriented Wacom devices, but it's very usable.<br /><br />The Surface Dock is a great port replicator, and gives you two mini displayport outputs. And the Microsoft keyboard cover is surprisingly nice to type on - and I'm pretty picky about keyboards. Just be aware that any mere 1080 display you hook up to it will look terrible in comparison to the display on the tablet itself.<br>

It's an impressive computer. </p>

I'm live mostly in Asia and use a 2014 macbook air 11 inch with 4gb ram and 256gb hd. I do all my photo work in

lightroom. Basically i'm happy with the macbook but next time i will get a surface tablet. My only concern with the tablet is

calibration (i have the same problem with the mac) and i wish Microsoft had put an sd slot on the surface instead of a

micro sd slot (again, i have a similar problem with the mac, ie no sd slot). Of course sd card readers are easily available

but an internal reader would be great.

What really appeals to me about the surface is the tablet form and the pen.

<p>Thanks to all for the input. Very much appreciated. I think I'm going to keep an eye out for the Surface Pro4 pricing and see when it drops a bit before I take the plunge. At the moment it's $1499 for the 16GB RAM configuration I'd like and that's without the keyboard cover. I hope there's a sale in the near future.</p>

<p>Rick</p>

<p>Richard,<br>

I got a Dell XPS 13 for travel out of similar frustration with a Atom processor netbook. I choose the Dell over a Surface Pro because the Dell has two USB ports and a SD card reader. I didn't get the touch screen version in favor of longer battery life so there is no Wacom like functionality (not sure the touch screen version of the Dell does either). The Intel I5 Dell with 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD runs Photoshop and Lightroom fine for the limited editing I do while traveling and the size and battery life are very good.<br>

Tom<br>

</p>

<p>You might also consider an Asus Zenbook. After a lot of study, (including the Surface), I just picked up a good used one which the original owner only had a month or two. As you likely know the Asus laptops can be reset to factory condition in a few minutes, so there's little difference in getting a new one -- except the price. I got an i7 with 12GB of RAM, a 256GB SSD and a 3800x1800 screen ... for $500. I installed Windows 10 and second copies of all my photo software. They look great on that screen, and I'll just carry a small 2TB USB drive with all my photos and LR catalog when on the road or out giving presentations. Just another thought. Good luck.</p>