24-70mm f2.8 alternative

wedding_photographer5

<blockquote>

<p>I'd rather have a Nikon.</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>I just sold the 28-70mm f2.8. Not because of optical shortcomings but because of encumbrance.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Unfortunately, I am afraid that the ideal lens the OP wants, i.e. a smaller, lighter, cheaper mid-range zoom that is a constant f2.8 and starts from 24mm (or 28mm) on the wide end and made by Nikon, doesn't exist. That is exactly why after some 20+ posts, this thread is not converging to any answer.</p>

<p>As typically in life, you can't get everything you want. There has to be some compromises.</p>

<p>A pair of f/1.8 AF-S G Nikkor primes should be a good solution if you want to work with small, lightweight, but fast primes instead of a f/2.8 zoom. I've shot weddings with an all primes setup but it is a bit of a hassle; basically you have to anticipate what is happening next and be ready, all the time. A 24-70mm lens makes it all less stressful. At weddings it is possible that some situations are missed because of having the wrong fixed focal length lens on the camera, thus I would at least advise to have a 24-70/2.8 or equivalent at hand even if you mostly work with primes. Of course, it is not necessary or even possible to capture everything that is going on as a solo wedding photographer, but I don't think it is a good idea to make the decision of which moments to get and which to miss on a technicality such as not having the right lens on the camera. If you plan to use two cameras with different focal lengths (i.e. 24mm on one, and and 50mm on the other), this is something you can work with and it may work quite well. Personally I don't like to carry more than one body on my body at the same time.</p>

<p>I usually shoot the church ceremony with a 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8, but sometimes I do use primes if the chuch is very dark, to get the shutter speed up and noise down. For the outdoor part of the wedding I'm basically using the 24-70 all the time, and beginning of the indoor reception also. However, towards the end of the reception I switch to f/1.4 primes because the light levels are typically so dim and I prefer not to use a lot of flash since it can be disruptive and cause a wave of posing if they notice that a flash is going off, and I'd rather avoid that. Sometimes I miss stuff but I try to capture the story of the day and that doesn't require <em>everything</em>, there is creative freedom in choices of moments to include, and not include. I think the feeling, emotion, and interaction between people, as well as visual coherence are more important than the number of pictures.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Unfortunately, I am afraid that the ideal lens the OP wants, i.e. a smaller, lighter, cheaper mid-range zoom that is a constant f2.8 and starts from 24mm (or 28mm) on the wide end and made by Nikon, doesn't exist.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>that makes total sense to me. personally, i agree with Ilkka that zooms are optimal for events, unless you are working with two bodies, and even then you could miss shots due to having the wrong focal length. that said, i do shoot some concerts and street with primes, but those are generally in venues i've shot before and know the best angles for certain lenses.<br>

<br>

if i was the OP, i might regret letting go of the 28-70, although that is a bulky brick. the Tamron 28-75 that i and RJ mentioned shaves almost half the weight, however, so i wouldnt be so quick to dismiss it as a solution. having OEM gear matters far less IMO than having gear which does what you need it to do. After all, the photos wont care what brand they were shot with, and neither will the customers. </p>