Praktica meets Lydith

<p>After last weekends post featuring the Titan/Titar lens, I thought perhaps I'd post some images from the very fine Praktica MTL3 that came with it. It really is in very good shape; I replaced the foam sealing around the back door hinge, (about all the re-sealing I've ever had to do on these later model Praktikas), and ran a length of Arista EDU 200 through the camera. I used a 30mm Meyer-Optik Gorlitz "Lydith" f/3.5 lens; here's how the outfit looked.</p><div>00dl0P-560910984.jpg.c1b403af3881d6e41a4c9de3874ae78d.jpg</div>

<p>This model Praktica saw the light of day in East Germany in 1978. It features the new-fangled hot shoe, and features accurate stop-down metering uses an EPX625 1.5v. button cell, or equivalent. Overall, it's a solid, no-frills, well-built camera. It has a nice bright viewfinder with microprism and split-image focusing aids and a vertical-run metal leaf shutter that, contrary to popular belief, does <em>not</em> scare the birds from the trees. I particularly like the grippy pebble-finish covering on these models; it's both comfortable and secure to hold, and wears very well.</p>

<p>The Lydith lens is too well-known for me to expound upon at great length. It seems to have a cult following these days, especially among the cropped-sensor DSLR crowd, where it's rather average corner performance is not an issue. It has exquisite centre-sharpness with excellent colour rendition and contrast, but I find the fall-off of quality in the corners of full-frame images just a little restrictive for some purposes. It morphed into the Pentacon 30/3.5, not to be confused with the Pentacon 29/2.8, which I've found to be of very variable quality. The Lydith is basic in operation, with no pre-set function, just an aperture that opens and closes as you rotate the aperture ring, so when fitted to the Praktika one has to go through the process of stopping down to ascertain exposure, opening up to focus and then stopping down for the shot, or variations on this theme. On the other hand, this simplicity is excellent on a digital platform.</p>

<p>As mentioned, I used Arista EDU 200, a film I'm always a little ambivalent about. It has it's share of emulsion defects but it produces negatives that scan nicely, producing a somewhat "silvery" image that I find appealing. Development was in PMK Pyro, scans from an Epson V700 using Silverfast SE software. I'll post a handful of images; see what you think.</p><div>00dl0R-560911184.jpg.e12353b4798d86589aa7bbfe0aef9968.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks <strong>Rick</strong>! I was expecting this post. As you know the MTL3 and the Lydith are among my most favourite pieces. Lovely tones in your pictures. Except the usual "glow" [for want of a better word] is missing. May be it is the light angle, etc. The house and little gate are quaint. Have some period significance. Thanks again. sp.</p>

<p>My pleasure, <strong>SP</strong>! I know what you mean about the "glow"... I think the wide-angle lenses tend to be very analytical and clinical, and I always have trouble creating anything "atmospheric" with them... I tend to look upon them as useful tools; I'm really happier with the longer focal lengths.</p>

<p>I really like your outfit there Rick, the finish on those Prakticas remind me a bit of a Dalek. They are nice to handle as you say, and the metal shutter makes a very satisfying sprooing.<br>

I have a similar Lydith in Exakta mount, haven't really used it much, so it's nice to see some images from you. The Subaru Forester looks to have been eaten by some kind of metal munching monster!<br>

We are having a bit of a late Summer heat wave at the moment, don't know if it's finding it's way over the Tasman.</p>

<p>Sweet Rick, but that #3 white fence in front of the house was particularly a nice one in my books. Very well done. I've been doing quite a lot recently with my digital M's. Looking at your posts reminds me I need to expose some more Pan F in my M4 and Contax IIA bodies that lately I've just been spending time keeping the shutters exercised, sans film...</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses! It wasn't the most exciting of posts but I'm pleased you found something of interest. Thanks, <strong>Greg</strong>, it seems to become more and more difficult to find the time to go through the process of shooting B&W film and attending to all the processing and scanning, and the subsequent organising of a post for CMC. It would be nice to see some of your work from the Contax and the M4. <strong>Kent</strong>, the Prakticas are a very common breed in Europe and down here in New Zealand, but practically unknown in the US, it would seem. <strong>Cory</strong>, regarding wide angle lenses in M42 mount, I find the 28mm Super Takumar f/3.5 to be one of the best lenses I own in that focal length, and they're not outrageously expensive. I prefer it to the f/2.8 version.</p>

<p>Yes, <strong>Tony</strong>, it's still a little warm for my taste but the days are drawing in again, so I mustn't grumble about summer, with Autumn just round the corner... And thank you <strong>Mike</strong>, <strong>John</strong> and <strong>SP</strong> for your contributions.</p>

I rather liked the look of Arista 200. silvery look you mentioned . The sharpness and overall tone balance

was nice and looked great .. You're a great photographer indeed. I have a M42 2.8 Tokina that delivers

nicely I liked putting it on my DDR Contax/Pentacon D/F. I don't know the Lydith though I' am aware it

exists sin JDM/SP and you have talked a bit about it and it'S close relatives