Nikon SB-900 always on standby

jay_drew

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p ><strong>I can not turn my used SB-900, that I just bought, off. It will stay on until the batteries run down. A clue to this problem might be that I do not understand how to operate it. The only manual I have on operating it is:</strong></p>

<p ><strong>"NIKON CREATIVE LIGHTING SYSTEM" by Mike Hagen. I've read both the SB-900 & the SB-800 sections. I have studied, high lighting & annotating parts of the entire SB-900 section. I'm still ignorant about operating it. (I have both strobes.) I have two ideas of what the problem is:</strong></p>

<p ><strong>1.) I'm not pushing the correct buttons in the right combinations or order.</strong></p>

<p ><strong>2.) The SB-900 is defective internally also. It arrived w/ the bottom battery door catch broken off. It still holds the batteries tight enough now, but for how long will it hold. I'm going to send it back due to that. </strong></p>

<p ><strong>So I guess my curiosity is; is this SB-900 also defective internally, or is it just my ignorance?</strong></p>

<p ><strong>Thank you, Jay</strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p ><strong>By the way, does anyone know a sure fire way to glue the catch back on w/ the plastic Nikon uses for a SB-900, so if the problem is my ignorance I won't have to return i</strong>t.</p>

<p ><strong> </strong></p>

<p>Jay, have you tried resetting the speedlight? The instructions for this are on page C9 of the PDF manual.</p>

<p>Quote from manual:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Two-button reset<br>

Pressing the “Function buttons” 1 and 3</p>

<p align="LEFT">(indicated with a green dot) simultaneously for</p>

<p align="LEFT">two seconds resets all settings (except custom</p>

<p align="LEFT">setting) to default settings.</p>

<p align="LEFT">After reset settings, the LCD is highlighted<br>

once and then returns to normal display."</p>

</blockquote>

<p >Hello RJ</p>

<p >Thank you for your suggestion. I went to that page & read it over. Then pressed</p>

<p >function 1 & 3 simultaneously for > 2 sec. The screen blinked & changed. What </p>

<p >I found was that if I turn it off, then fire it the screen goes blank immediately, but </p>

<p >if I turn it off w/o firing it the screen stays on, then goes into standby. Is this normal?</p>

<p >Thanks again, Jay</p>

<p >Well, I have the answer to my question. Standby mode is not normal after turning off the SB-900. I returned the 1st SB900 & received another. The 2nd used one turns off immediately when switched off. & other functions functions are working. I'm not just fruitlessly pushing buttons.</p>

<p >Thank you, in case anyone is interested, Jay</p>