65 Years Ago - February 1951

<p>Mike - I never tried the Dye Transfer method. Articles like this show me why. Too much for my little home darkroom. The Dye Transfer prints I have seen were wonderful.</p>

<p>Tony - I see something like the Gevaert ad and wonder who else would be interested? Good to know. I will look for other ads like this one.</p>

<p>Donald - I always like to see the methods used by photographers in days gone by. They really had to work hard for their shots. I felt the same way as you about the kid and his dog.</p>

<p> </p>

That was an interesting article on beginner's mistakes.

"The old rule of 'the closer the subject the more light it requires, the farther away the less light' didn't mean much to him. But it meant a lot to the roll of film in his camera."

That is a new one on me. Unless he is talking about bellows extension and the inverse light rule. Even then I don't think there should be much difference in bellows extension with a normal folder at five feet as opposed to infinity. An 8 x 10 camera would have a significant bellows extension at five feet compared to infinity. But, he was talking about a "roll of film" in the camera so I assume it was a simple folder. I rather suspect this entire scene and dialogue in a camera shop was just the writer's creation.

James G. Dainis

<p>Another fine selection, <strong>Marc.</strong> The article on the Big City Photographer plunged me back into my late childhood when a career in photography was dreamily being considered, (along with becoming a pilot or train driver, of course), and press photography looked pretty glamorous. Altogether an engrossing post; many thanks.</p>