Which head is good for natural micro work??

keven_lin

As Kent said, the Manfrotto 410 is the "mini geared head." IMO it is good for macro work, and is what I thought to recommend when I saw your question title, before actually reading the question. You can make very precise adjustments on any axis without disturbing the others -- key for macro composition.

It has a couple of drawbacks. First, the QR plates are large compared to the little A/S plates I'm used to. Also, if you have a power booster/vertical controls on your camera, the fit may be tight for lenses with a collar (the booster may get in the way of the controls for the head). Otherwise, I think it's a nice head. It's not a good head for wildlife because it is not fluid like a ball or gimbal head, but it's great for macro or landscape.

The 410 is a great choice for what ypu want to do. I wouldadd an Arca-Swiss type Quickrelease system , Since the clamp for the A-S system is open ended you can ount either the camera or the lens (if the lens has a tripod collar, on a long plate. this will let you set your desired reproduction ratio on the lens and then slide thecamera/lens combination towards or away from your subject to focus the camera without having to movethe tripod or change your reproduction ratio. when i had a 410 i used this type of set up and was very pleased with it. <B>Really Right Stuff</B> and <B>Kirk Enterprises</B> make the clamps and plates.

• 1 year later...