Compatibility for Adobe RGB

<p >I recently bought a Dell XPS 8700 desktop PC with Win 10 and a 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 graphics card. My monitor is the NEC PA272W-BK 27" LED Backlit Wide Gamut (Adobe RGB) display. The PC has has HDMI and DVI-D ports in the expansion slot for the graphics card. </p>

<p >The problem is that the DVI-D port is required for full display resolution of 2,560. HDMI will not give full resolution. But DVI-D does not display the full Adobe RGB color space of 1 billion-plus colors on the monitor. To get full Adobe RGB and 2,560 resolution seems to require DisplayPort, which is not supported by the graphics card. So it looks like I can have 2,560 resolution or full Adobe RGB color, but not both. Can anyone advise?</p>

<blockquote>

<p> But DVI-D does not display the full Adobe RGB color space of 1 billion-plus colors on the monitor.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hum... didn't know that. I can't imagine why. Let me ping the product manager about that. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>So it looks like I can have 2,560 resolution or full Adobe RGB color, but not both. Can anyone advise?<br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'd go Adobe RGB (1998), lower rez. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<blockquote>

<p>The specs page of the NEC monitor says for Display Colors: "1,073,741,824 (DisplayPort/HDMI 10 bit)/16,777,216 (DVI)."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That doesn't mean you can't get Adobe RGB gamut. You're not really getting either number of colors if you want to go there. <br>

But let's see what the PM says. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Maybe my question is one for Dell: Why isn't there a DisplayPort port for this high-end graphics card?<br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Indeed! I'm running that display on a Mac using DisplayPort at the higher rez. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Got an email back from the PM (isn't he great, fast?). <br>

So yes, you're confusing bit depth with color gamut. You can get Adobe RGB gamut. You can select any gamut you want in any resolution or input.<br /><br />To get native resolution requires Dual-link DVI. That PC may only support Single-link (max of 1920x1200). The display will do 2560x1600 with an HDMI input if the PC can output that.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Why isn't there a DisplayPort port for this high-end graphics card?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I wouldn't call a GTX745 a high-end card; it's lower-mid-end at best, the fact it has 4GB is more marketing value than anything else as this card doesn't exactly have the grunt to make full use of that memory. It's not much faster than integrated Intel graphics, actually. Given that is more a card for (very) casual gaming, inclusion of display port (which is not yet widely adopted in the consumer space, though a matter of time) is not a priority for a card as this one (most people with a card as this one are still on 1920*1080 resolution).</p>

<p>With regard to the 10-bit colour depth that your display supports, regardless of how you connect the screen, you will not enjoy 10-bit colour depth. In order to have that, you need not only the display, but also software (Photoshop does support 10-bit) and video drivers to support it. Both Nvidia and AMD for now seem to offer 10-bit mode only with their professional cards (Nvidia Quadro / AMD FirePro series). These cards do cost a significant bit more.</p>

<p>Thanks much to both of you. Maximizing the performance and compatibility among computer, graphics card, photo editing software, monitor, cable connectors, etc. etc. is not easy, and the one party that might seem able to help me sort it out (Dell) has no technical support worthy of the name. But my existing rig offers excellent performance, excellent results photographically and terrific printed images that closely resemble what I see on the screen. So I'm declaring victory. Thanks again for your help.<br>

Gary</p>