CS2 vs LR 3.5 Color Cast Issue

<p>I generally use LR3.5 to process digital photos. I have begun processing a large batch of files, and all have a magenta cast when opened in LR3.5. I have tried to adjust individual color hue, saturation, luminence etc with mixed results. </p>

<p>I then opened the same file in LR 3.5 and in CS2. No magenta cast in CS2; image looks about perfect out of the camera.</p>

<p>Images were taken with a D7100. ISO 800, flash, A preferred at f8.</p>

<p>How can I set up LR3.5 so that an unedited image opened in LR3.5 looks exactly like an unedited image opened in CS2 ?</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Ross</p>

<p>You're working with antique software. <a href="http://lightroomkillertips.com/keeping-your-color-consistent-between-lightroom-and-photoshop/">This article</a> is fairly new but may point to some issues. How are you calibrating your monitor? That shouldn't be the issue, the difference in color spaces is much more likely, but it's worth recalibrating anyway.</p>

<p>"Antique" but paid for..... Until I can fully solve the problem, my workaround is to use LR for everything except color adjustments, and use CS2 for the later. I have opened photos in question in other applications such as irfranview, and the color cast issue remains solely a LR issue.</p>

<p>On another note, I continue to be impressed by the basic image quality produced by the d7100. High ISO images are spectacular compared to the D80/D90.</p>

<p>Snippy Snippy.</p>

<p>Lack of comment does not indicate "dismissed out of hand".</p>

<p>For the record, I have re calibrated my monitor. Very slight adjustments to gamma and red were needed, but did not eliminate the issue. I reviewed the linked article, and changed the color space in LR. Result was a slight but noticeable change. However, overall cast still remains, hence the workaround described above.</p>

<p>You and others may have an extra $500-$600 for new software laying around. I don't.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You and others may have an extra $500-$600 for new software laying around. I don't.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><a name="pagebottom"></a>You can get LR and PS through the CC program for $10/month. It will take four years to get to $500.</p>

<p>The point remains however, the knowledge base on ancient software is shrinking. You can do a trial with CC and see if that solves the problem. The download page is <a href="http://www.adobe.com/downloads.html">here</a>.</p>

<p>IF ACR (what I suspect you mean by using unedited image opened in CS2/Photoshop) and Lightroom are on version parity and set identically, what you see in ACR and in Lightroom's Develop module at 1:1 <em>should</em> match. Older versions of LR didn't '<em>like</em>' Version 4 ICC display profiles FWIW. Just make Version 2 if asked in the software package. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Yes, I opened the same unedited file in both LR and CS2. I will investigate the conflicts pointed to.</p>

<p>I understand I can purchase a subscription at nominal cost. HOWEVER, I prefer to purchase and own. If a subscription lapses, you lose access to the program. In the future it is very possible that a lapsed subscription would also lock any derived content, such as edited media. There is a word for this....."hostage-ware". No Thank You.</p>

<p>As has been pointed out many, many times: You don't own that software. You merely have a license to use it in accordance with the license.<br>

What will happen when (not if) Adobe stops supporting obsolete versions? There is no obligation for them to do so after all. </p>

<p>Errr not quite.</p>

<p>Courts are still divided as to whether a purchase can be canceled by the seller at a later date. An owner of intellectual property can end support for use of the property at any time. But the property can be used in the matter in which it was originally intended until either it fails from age, or the infrastructure needed for operation no longer functions. If I own a legally purchased copy of the software, I can install it on my computer. However, I understand that the producer of the software may or may not be of assistance if I encounter a problem. Hence the use of internet groups and forums (like photo.net) to solve problems that may arise from time to time. Hence my original question.</p>

<p>Other than age, what would stop someone from using Windows XP ? MS doesn't support it anymore, and it may be susceptible to virus etc. MS may claim that a working "key" is a "license", and Adobe wants users to believe that holding software and a key in your hand may be a "license", but no court has ever upheld the claim when the software has been legally acquired. On the other hand, courts have ruled in favor of the purchaser when the initial sale did not make clear that the transaction is actually a lease.</p>

<p>I am someone who uses a fountain pen to write notes in longhand. Soap and a razor to shave every morning. Vacuum tubes and vinyl to listen to music. I am not a luddite (nor would anyone accuse me of being one after seeing the number of computer based devices in my home). I am someone who does not upgrade just because "it is new" or the company says I should. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Snippy Snippy.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not at all, your projecting.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Lack of comment does not indicate "dismissed out of hand".</p>

</blockquote>

<p>but does indicate lack of manners, like thanking someone who took time to try to help you out.</p>

<p>Given that neither LR3.5 nor CS2 have support for D7100 NEF files, you're either using JPEGs or DNGs - it would help to indicate which. Have you tried for comparison sake to load the same photos in Nikon View NXi to see which other program it matches, to at least get an idea which colour mananegement settings are most likely to be somewhat correct.</p>

<p>I don't want to download something I will not subscribe to.</p>

<p>I did investigate LR ONLINE- Adobe allows you to use LR5 from their website, without downloading a large .exe file.</p>

<p>Unedited file opens and does not have a magenta cast. </p>

<p>I have loaded pics into View NXi. Unedited files look like files opened in CS2 (and all other software I have tried other than LR).</p>

<p>.JPG. I did not shoot RAW as I did not have sufficient onboard storage space for my needs.</p>

<p>From everything I have tried, it seems that the cast is isolated to LR3.5. Now the question is why ?</p>

PC Windows 7 premium, AMD 2.2 Quad Core, 8gb RAM