Purchasing the new NIKKOR 200-500 f5.6

oliver_flint

<p>I wanted to buy the new NIKKOR 200-500 mm zoom but missed the first batch and so waited for B&H and Amazon to refill their stock. Amazon initially reported that it was out of stock and only obtainable from third party suppliers at twice the recommended Nikon price. So I waited. Eventually Amazon reported that it was available on Prime but for approximately $1800 which of course I was not prepared to pay.<br>

Normally I order on my PC, but late one night I was trying to get to sleep reading a book on my iPad when I decided to try Amazon there. I wasn't logged in to Amazon with my user name, and instantly a price of $1396 was revealed and the lens was available for immediate shipping on Prime. I wonder if the searches on my PC where I automatically login to Amazon as a known user affected the price they were asking and when I logged on as an unknown on my iPad I got the right price? Just a thought.<br>

By the way I received and registered the lens today and found that the serial number was not one of those lenses needing to be fixed. Also, at least on my PC, the only examples of this lens available on Amazon are from third party suppliers, described as 'used' for $1,104. I wonder if these are lenses needing the firmware fix.<br>

Still haven't heard back from B&H.</p>

<p>I ordered mine from B&H on Oct 7 and got it on Oct 12. It likely depend on when they get a shipment.<br>

BTW, at 500 f/5.6, this lens appear to handily out resolve the 80-400 at 400 f/5.6 at the pixel level. The VR also work clearly better than those on the 70-200. It probably also work better than those on the 80-400, although that might be more subjective. You will love it.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I wonder if the searches on my PC where I automatically login to Amazon as a known user affected the price they were asking and when I logged on as an unknown on my iPad I got the right price? Just a thought.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Oliver, I suspect that sometimes. Someone told me the same story, but I have not taken the time to test it. I am a prime member and I think Amazon is fair enough from my experiences. I normally research on price before buying anything significant.</p>

<p>Good luck with your new 200-500mm folks! Mine was affected and it's still in Nikon for firmware update.</p>

<p>I have not experienced this on Amazon, though of course it might depend on what one is buying, but I have in other areas, particularly airline ticket prices. These sites set cookies in your browser, which along with helpful things like the Photo.net cookie logging us on automatically and telling us what posts are new to us, and neutral things like putting our favorite camera store's ads on display, can tell a site what kind of drugs you take or what price list to post. If you use a different computer, of course it will have different cookies, but it can be useful just to erase all your cookies from time to time, and re-enter the forum passwords and other conveniences as they arise.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the good suggestions and good wishes. I am excited about using this, though it is heavy. However, I have managed to use the 80-400 without too much stress and obtained some nice shots even when using the additional TC1.4x with this lens. Here in Pennsylvania it's fine Fall photography weather. I hope it's the same for you where you are.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> I wonder if the searches on my PC where I automatically login to Amazon as a known user affected the price they were asking and when I logged on as an unknown on my iPad I got the right price? </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, it's called dynamic pricing. It's a common online strategy that is used by a lot of online stores (not just Amazon), and especially those with a brick and mortar store. They take into account what they know from you (including your location) and determine what to display and/or what price to charge you, based on propensity models. The disparity can be as little as a few cents for everyday items or as large as 10's or 100's of dollars for BIG ticket items. </p>

<p> </p>