Getting the Best Scan Results from Epson V600

<p>I know that the <strong>Epson v600</strong> flatbed scanner is getting somewhat long in the tooth, but I just completed a number of tests to determine for myself what is the best method for scanning film with this unit. Others might find it interesting.</p>

<p>I have recently come back to shooting more film & less digital. This results in the need to scan, as I long ago quit doing chemical darkroom and have only been doing digital darkroom for many years.</p>

<p>Even though the <strong>v600</strong> is several models past prime, I was still able to obtain one new recently. Decided to try this older technology to see the results. If it was terrible, or if I continue to do a lot of film, I would move up later to newer models, if I liked this series of scanners. Also, I really do mostly medium and large format film, so squeezing out good scans with 35mm is secondary. Having said that, 35mm is what I wanted to test because it is obviously the most difficult with which to achieve acceptable results.</p>

<p>The tests were conducted using the same software (VueScan), the same image (Kodak 400 TYM), and only changing the methods by which the film was placed onto the scanner bed (OEM Holder, Dry mount, wet mount, height).</p>

<p>Bottom line as expected was that wet mounted is best. Surprising how much difference it made. The odd point of my results was that raising the film off of the scanner bed to simulate OEM height, seemed to make the image softer than at scanner bed level.</p>

<p>If you are interested in the full results, and how the tests were conducted, it can be found on my site at:</p>

<p>http://brucevarner.com/V600ScanMethods.html</p>

<p>Thanks! Comments welcome.</p>

<p>You are setting something incorrectly in Vuescan. Not sure what.</p>

<p><strong>EDIT: </strong>Meant to quote this. "The odd point of my results was that raising the film off of the scanner bed to simulate OEM height, seemed to make the image softer than at scanner bed level."</p>

<p>Yes, Vuescan allows you to select a focus point if the scanner supports it. IIRC, you have to set it to manual focus (on the input tab), and then there's the "Focus X/Y Offset" option on the crop screen if you have the Professional version and the current scanner supports it. There's an indication on the preview screen when on the crop tab to show you what the current focus point is. </p>

<p>Thanks for the info Paul!</p>

<p>Yes I have the Pro version. Have been using VueScan for many years & have never seen such adjustment, but I guess that does not mean its not there..... Maybe the Epson V600 does not allow focus adjustment? I am away right now. Will check it out when I can & let you know.</p>

<p>Yeah, I had a few minutes and checked - looks like the V600 is "fixed" - the V700/750/800/850 have two lenses, each focused differently to get better results (I'm assuming flatbed vs. holder). Generally, Vuescan is really good about only displaying options that make sense for a particular scanner.<br>

Looks like betterscanning.com sells adjustable height MF film holders for the V600 - I've never used them, but raising/lowering the film would certainly allow you to tune the focus a bit.<br>

<br /><br /></p>