1DX MKII 2015 release? :-o

Mark Keefer

<p>With all the predictions and rumors over the last year that Canon would announce the new 1DX MK II toward the end of 2015, it doesn't seem to have happened yet. If they are planning a 2015 release, they are cutting it close. lol. Santa is making his list and checking it twice, the elves are packing the sleigh. Nine days to zero hour, Canon. Maybe it will be a 2016 release.</p>

<p>I am just looking forward to seeing if they come out with something to really shake up the Canon line, a quantum leap, better dynamic range, lower light, low noise, a revolution in fast focusing, something that will give them a solid edge over Nikon.</p>

<p>This will be the new <strong><em>Flag Ship</em></strong> of the EOS line, hopefully they will knock our socks off. What is Canon planning? Sitting here with mild anticipation of perhaps the next camera I will long for, maybe even buy if the price is right.</p>

<p> </p>

Cheers, Mark

<p>Apart from the higher frame rate, what does the 1D X have that the 5D Mark III doesn't have? Remembering that vertical grips are indeed available for the 5D III, and that high-ISO performance is fairly compared when resizing both images to the same number of pixels.</p>

<p>Greater low ISO dynamic range would be great in <em>any </em>EOS DSLR. I personally would find that to be much more useful than better high ISO performance. I never shoot above 3200 ISO, but often find myself photographing my kids in the harsh midday sun, when DR demands are the greatest.</p>

<p>I wouldn't need much higher res if any, so much, as the sensor pixels get smaller, less photons per surface area means less signal to noise, so noise could increase. A noisy 1DX would be disastrous. More res would be nice if higher noise is not the price to be paid. More important to me is less noise at lower light levels and higher ISO. And yes more dynamic range would be swell. And excellent fast focusing, even in very low light of course. </p>
Cheers, Mark

<p>Ed asked:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Apart from the higher frame rate, what does the 1D X have that the 5D Mark III doesn't have? Remembering that vertical grips are indeed available for the 5D III, and that high-ISO performance is fairly compared when resizing both images to the same number of pixels.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

Mainly, the 1D X's AF works much faster with the 1.4x and 2.0x TC-IIIs. Using the 1.4x TC-III on a 5D3 is not too bad, but the camera will not manhandle a big lens, like a 500/f4, the same way that the 1D X can, due to higher battery voltage. <br>

<br>

The other major plus is lower noise at much higher ISOs, which is particularly valued by those shooting indoor sports. FPS is HUGE for sport and wildlife photographers.</p>