4x5 Film Holders

jmlphotography

<p><em>Lisco or Fidelity are (no joke) the same products and you can't go wrong with either.</em></p>

<p>And Riteway. In the end all three were made by the same guy in the same "factory" in LA. IIRC he worked for Calumet which is also gone. When he retired that was the end of most new film holders. Perhaps Toyo still makes new, IDK.</p>

<p>There's a thread on film holder history somewhere in the LargeFormatPhotography.info forums. Somewhere. I think I posted in it. Maybe a decade ago. Again, IDK.</p>

<p>Bruce has told you pretty much what you need to know. All three are equivalent, made the same way--and only vary in price for used by the year that certain LF fervors are in vogue. I have about 50 holders--most are Fidelity, the rest are Lisco, and a few Riteway mixed in. I have acquired for free a few 60+ year old wooden ones, and as stated--are often warped or have a slightly off registration plane.</p>

<p>Pay the lowest you can get--observe the photos carefully. Make sure that they all include dark slides. Buying in lots gets you the best bang for the buck. Inspect them carefully on receipt to ensure that the light seal materials are intact and functional. Be sure to label each side with a distinct number and A or B (e.g., 2A, 2B) so that you know what you have shot after logging them.</p>

<p>P.S. The slides with the wire pull are older than the ones with the plastic tab. Shoot for the latter when buying.</p>

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

<p>I'm really not sure where these fantasies about warped wood holders come from, but I bet it's not from people who have actually used any. I have more than 100 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 holders in wood, some very ancient, and not one of them has ever given me a bit of trouble. I just checked ten of the oldest 5x7 ones, and the greatest warp is several tenths of a mm--that would easily be straightened out by the spring back. . . . assuming the back itself was flat, which most probably aren't anyway.</p>

<p>Wood holders are lighter, and they're much cheaper. Do yourself a favor and pay $3-4 each for those, and if you find a real dud, you'll still be able to afford to throw it out.</p>