Tripod recommendation for macro, portraits, and more

dawn_mckinley

<p>Happy Holidays! I am getting more serious about my photography and am looking to purchase lighter weight, sturdy tripod legs (4-5 lbs) for macro photography and portraits that will accommodate my current f/2.8 105 mm and f/3.5-5.6 18-200 mm lenses. I also want them to be sturdy enough to hold 300-400 mm lenses as I continue to grow in my photographic pursuits and outdoor adventures. I am keen on carbon fiber but not Gitzo. I am 68" tall and would like a tripod that is comfortable at that height but that also can shoot low to the ground (12" or less"). I am ready to purchase the Really Right Stuff (RRS) BH-55 ball head with the TVC-34L legs (4-70" height, 4 lbs, 50lb capacity). I am aware they are pricey, but I want something that will last for years to come. I don't have much experience using tripods and notice the RRS legs do not come with a center column. How big a deal is that? Does anyone have other setups to recommend given my requirements? I am planning on purchasing before the beginning of the year. Thanks for your time and suggestions!</p>

<p>You don't need a tripod equal to your height. Something 55"-58" tall would probably be just right, and even then not fully extended. The head adds about 3" and the camera about the same amount. It's always easier to bend just a bit than to stand on tip-toes. I can say this as someone about 5'10" tall (and shrinking). My go-to tripod is a Gitzo GT-3540, which reaches about 55" without a column. I usually extend only the bottom two segments (of four). A #3 Gitzo (or RRS) is okay for a 300 mm lens outdoors. A #4 or #5 would be better for 400 mm and up.</p>

<p>I have a Gitzo GT-3540XL, which is 78" without a column. If I extend only two sections, I need a small ladder or chair to level the head. I use it for video, so that people can walk in front of the lens without blocking the view. I've used it fully extended a few times, with a 6' ladder.</p>

<p>RRS tripods are arguably even better than Gitzo, and only a little more costly. If you can afford it, RRS will get the job done for you. If you have money for one good tripod, I strongly recommend one with a replaceable center section. Columns raise the center of mass, reducing stability even if completely down.</p>

<p>A column is very useful for macro and portraits, but not essential for landscapes. You would remove the column to get lower than about 20" and replace it with a flat plate or short (3") column to get lower. A leveling head is ideal if you shoot a lot of panoramas (or video). One that replaces the center column is best, but Manfrotto and Novoflex make leveling devices that fit between the column and camera, which add 1-1/2" or more to the height.</p>

<p>A Gitzo or RRS tripod have adjustable leg angles, which work well for closeups in nature, with or without a column. However a completely flexible tripod like a Benbo or Gitzo Explorer are ideal for that application. Since the legs and column angle are infinitely adjustable, you hold the camera where you want it before tightening the tripod down. The problem is, you have to do the same thing for each setup, even for a landscape.</p>

<p>I have a BH-55 head, which works for everything you mention, but is a very large head. I recently bought a BH-40 which is sturdy enough for a medium format camera and only 2/3rds the size of the BH-55. At the moment, it is on a Benbo 2 tripod, for closeups and light-box setups, where the camera may be extended well out from center.</p>

<p>Big lenses, like a 300/2.8 or larger, work best with a cantilever head (e.g., Wimberly). For precise shots (closeups), an Arca "Cube" works best. Even the sturdiest tripod and ball head will sag when you net go, making closeups a PITA to set up. The "Cube" takes all the strain off the mount, with Arca precision and rigidity. A ball head works fine for 90-100 mm closeup lenses - a little touchy but manageable.</p>

<p>The Gitzo (or RRS) leveling head has an 8" handle which extends downward. This limits how low the tripod will go. I use the front two legs on the middle notch and the rear leg on the top notch to get to 10" or so, not counting the height of the head and camera. I have a column, but can't remember the last time I used it.</p>

<p>I'm not sure what you have against Gitzo, but I can tell you, after 30 years of fiddling around with lesser tripods, I watched the big auction site for a few weeks and found a used Gitzo 1325 in almost very good condition, including the center post and carrying case for about $400 including shipping. I figure I saved several hundred dollars on that, and it has been my go-to for serious shooting ever since. One of its features I like, is the capability of the legs to extend and lock in place at 3 different angles, allowing it to get down to about 12 inches from the ground (centerpost removed, of course). Yes, I have a lightweight Manfrotto for hiking, as well as a Leica tabletop for occasional overseas travel. You, of course will make your own choice to suit your needs. My suggestion is to make sure that whatever you select will easily and steadily, without any wobble whatsoever, hold all of your gear rock solid, in a wind. If you need, you can always fill a milkjug with sand or water and hang it fron the center/centerpost to add stability. If you have the opportunity to do so, try to visit a professional photo dealer and try out samples from different manufacturers to see what works best for you. BTW, I've used, and really like RRS gear as well.</p>

I know what you mean when you say you want a tripod that is at your height. I am tall and also like to be able to stand

comfortably. However, I find I shoot from lower tripod settings for composition. I have also found that unless I'm hiking a

significant distance, I like slightly heavier tripods for stability. Certainly a matter of personal preference.

<p>I have a Benbo that I've owned for about 15 years or so, and I don't know if it will meet your weight requirement, but it can get into pretty much any position you'd want. All three legs operate independently though, so it may not be as easy to set up as some others. It's very sturdy, and I never felt uncomfortable using it even with my biggest lenses. Not even sure it's still being made, but you might find it on the used market if you decide it's something to pursue after 'googling' it.</p>