Two printer issues

I use an Epson 1400 with MIS Eboni dedicated B&W inks (6 tones). I use QuadTone Rip software to do my printing with. It has all worked

fine for several years. Of late, however, two problems have cropped up: the first, and longest noticed, is the banding seen in the attached

photo of a black ink only tonal range scale. Note the horizontal banding parallel with the path of the printing head. The interesting thing is

that it always shows up in this calibration scale but so far not in the corresponding tonalities of prints. The second problem is that all six scales of all six inks has lost density between when I last calibrated in June and my most recent yesterday. It is across the

entire scale so not a result of just one or two inks. From my lightest density (.05 above paper) to my max (1.59 above paper) the

densities have decreased resulting in lighter prints. For the record I did, just previously refill my cartridges but was exceptionally careful

to match inks to the appropriate cartridge.

Any input on the why's and solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks

<p>Each cartridge has several nozzles and when one of them clogs....less ink get's out. You probably have a clog.</p>

<p>On the high side, the inks are water based. Not a big deal to clean them.</p>

<p>Note: I have the same setup, I haven't used that rip in years. I found it better to use the normal (colour) print calibration of your analyzer. Yes, it does work. I just have print profiles for the eboni set. This should also compensate for your problem.</p>

<p>Peter, re your comment on analyzer: My screen calibration analyzer? Epson cartridges don't have nozzles. Those are built into the heads which normally clean out just fine during a normal head cleaning cycle. But I've had another comment from another photographer I know making the same comment as well as the guy who fixes my computer. I'm going to try a new set of cartridges as soon as I can and see if it makes a difference. </p>

<div>00dXCC-558821284.jpg.4316b53e18152ea33f5c3ce91490462b.jpg</div>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Following up on this issue. I finally sat on the phone for thirty minutes to talk the problem over with Epson - the person I talked to, BTW, turned out to be very knowledgeable and even a little helpful- who suggested running a print straight out of Photoshop. In doing that none of the artifacts noted above were present. It doesn't print half as well as through QTR especially in the shadows but in none of the light and mid-tones did I have any kind of problem. <br>

So that seemed to implicate QTR. I then completely uninstalled QTR and re-installed only to have the same problem. I uninstalled it again and this time downloaded the most recent version (2.7.5) and tried that. Running in the calibration mode the problem is still there but very much reduced although the actual quality of the ink spray is terrible. Very grainy. Going on to the 21 step wedge seemed clean but on looking through magnification the striations running parallel to the head travel are still there. What's more, I was using the same ink characterization as I had been in 2.7.2 but every step was measurably lighter than when printed in that version. <br>

Perhaps there is a problem with the print heads that only shows itself when using QTR to drive the printing. I don't know but I've about had it. Buying a new 1410 seems like the last chocolate in the box but it's a pretty expensive way to test a hypothesis.<br>

Anyone with information leading to more creative expression and less technical nightmare please write.</p>

Hi, I've never used QTR, but here's a couple things I'd try, if they're possible: first, if it's possible, use the RIP to print to a file (if this is not an

obvious option, there may be an option to set up a "raster printer"). Then inspect this print file to see if the artifacts are there. The second

thing would be to rotate the test image sideways, then see if the streaks rotate with the image. Possibly some further clues will be revealed.

<p>Hi Bill, thanks for the post, I tried your suggestions. Doing the calibration test rotated 90 degrees the banding changed direction relative to the step wedge rows but still parallel to head travel. I printed a page out of a PDF file both though the standard printing routine the Epson has for that plus a version through QTR. While the QTR version is much less clean (and very dark which I attribute to using standard ink jet printer paper rather than my heavy photo matte photo paper) but no sign of the banding. This is not inconsistent with what I see in my calibration step wedges where the density from 1.50 and up do not show the artifact - probably because the amount of ink just overwhelms the striping.</p>

Since the direction of streaking seemed to stay with the printer, and did not rotate with the image, I'd guess that the printer itself is the

culprit. If the streaks are consistent, meaning that if you butt two prints together that the streaks all match up across prints, there's another

test you could try. Shift the test image slightly to one side, then see if the streaks shift with the image. If they continue to stay locked in step

with the physical parts of the printer, it would seem pretty conclusive that the printer itself is the source of the problem.