Best Focal Length to Start With

alex_hawley

Alex, congrats on entering 4x5. A valuable reference book for you would be a Graphic Graflex Manual. These were large hardcover books published by Morgan and Morgan from 1940 until the mid 50s. The ninth edition (1952 and reprinted in 1971) is one of the best. These are generally available through used bookstores, ebay or as used through Amazon.com. Go forth and make images!

Alex, I hope this helps you become acclimated to your new 4x5. When I first started in 4x5 (1981), I had a terrible time using the groundglass. There is a learning curve with 4x5....don't become discouraged. I know you are anxious to get out and make photographs. Don't let me hold you back!

You have several skills to learn. A concentrated, focused effort early on will make your 4x5 experience much more enjoyable. I would suggest starting out with just the 210 and no film. Practice setting up the camera on the tripod. Don't even think about shifts, or tilts. Think about what you are doing and do it until it becomes fluent. The 210 is your easiest lens to focus (longest lens=largest image size). Leave the camera and lens setup in a corner of your house. Near a window is ideal. Drape the focusing cloth over the camera. Incidentally, I hope you have a large focusing cloth. Undersized cloths are a hinderance. By leaving the camera set up you can pop your head under it and practice focusing for a minute or two several times a day. Keeping about a foot away from the groundglass will help. Moving your head around to see the corners is very important.

Why so much emphasis on such a simple thing as focusing? When I started I had difficulty getting used to the groundglass. I was discouraged. I left the camera set up just like this and things started improving. You will soon be an old groundglass hand, much sooner with regular practice.

Use the camera as a straight 210 box camera for a while. Leave the other lenses at home. Don't even think about movements. Once this large box camera becomes a real joy to use, think about keeping your back plumb and using the rising/falling front to bring your image the way you want it. See the camera position first with your eyes. Set your camera in the spot where your image comes together. Plumb the back. Use the rise/fall to bring the elements into the groundglass. Fall is as useful as rise. Use just the 210 and just f22 for exposure. This will help develop your skill base.

Add the different movements and lenses gradually. Learn what each actually does. If you find yourself baffled and your camera looks like a pretzel....put everything back to "neutral" (your box camera position) and start over.Ansel Adams in earlier editions of The Camera recommended the serious student spend at least a year learning to use the classic view camera. The hard work is well worth the effort. Becoming fluent with a view camera spoils you for any other kind of camera!

I wish you well with your new journey. I was fortunate enough to have had some very good training early on. I'l pleased to pass along anything I can to you.

• 3 weeks later...
Alex, how goes the new world of 4x5 for you? Have the "calesthenics" with your Graphic View helped? I found a 1955 ad for your camera. I'm new at scanning, but I did manage to send that scan to a friend who uses a GV. If you send me your e-mail address, I'll send you a scan of it. Also, I have some questions about your HC110 dilution technique. regards, ken