Graphlex Century Graphic Sheet Back

westphoto

<p>Any 2-1/4 x 3-1/4" Graflok focus panel will fit--not 4x5. They sometimes come up for sale on Ebay. Has to be Graflok, not Graflex or Graphic (those are the three types of panel). The Graflok panel has a long chrome spring-loaded levers running down each side that hook under the tiny black hooks in the middle of the wide side on your camera's back. Make sure it has the collapsing hood (if the glass is uncovered, that's missing).</p>

<p>If you happen to be in Chicago, I think I saw one in Central Camera's front window the other day, new in a box.</p>

<p>It will look like this, but in the right size: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/cPAAAOSwPgxVTA7u/$_1.JPG</p>

<p>I bought one 10 or 15 years ago from Midwest Photo Exchange (mpex.com). I think it was new old stock. They used to have a vast amount of Graflex stuff, and I believe they had acquired much of the inventory of unused Graphic parts. You could send them an email and see what they have.</p>

<p>What you need is the Focus Frame aka Focus Panel.<br>

Century Graflex service manual under Singer ownership lists Frame Complete-Focusing Part number 31715G1 catalog number 9278; Metal view hood part number 31059G1 catalog number 9145<br>

Pacemaker Crown and Speed 2x3 format Service Manual parts list General Precision ownership, January 1965<br>

Frame complete-focusing part number 31715G8 catalog number 9277; Hood assy. part number 30159G1 catalog number 9145.<br>

Graflex XL General Precision ownership 3 focusing frame assemblies<br>

part number 39960G1 catalog number 9276 grid lines with fresnel<br>

part number 31715G1 catalog number 9283 focus panel with limit lines for 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 and 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 no fresnel<br>

part number 31715G8 catalog number 9284 focus panel with limit lines for 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 and 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 with fresnel<br>

no hood listed but 9145 should fit any of the three.</p>

<p>These numbers will not be stamped on the focus panels or hoods. They will be on the box of NOS.</p>

<p>IF your Century Graphic is a 4x5 I have a GG back w/focus hood atached. I could make a photo if you like. [ I may also have the same for 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 but finding it in my cellar?? ] I remember reading that all Century Graphics have Graflok backs. IIRC The Graflok GG has a spring and the sheet film holders are slid underneath. So as one earlier poster noted there were different solutions for earlier models but both Pacemaker and Century models use the Graflok standard.</p>

<p>Dave, thanks a lot. I'll certainly check in with them.<br>

Charles, that is a veritable smorgasbord of information. I will definitely keep that in case the need arises later.<br>

Chuck, the Century's are all indeed Graflok, I just wasn't sure if that was a single-sized standard or if there were various sizes employing the same lock design (apparently the latter). I am in need of the 2.25x3.25 version, so do let me know if you happen to come across one. It will certainly be a while before I have the funds to get one from any source, though. My friend was remarkably generous in letting me have this gem (those red bellows!), and it will take some patience to make my way into the medium format world (shooting a Canon AE-1 generally).</p>

I too have a gray green body Century 2.25/3.25 with red bellows. I bought mine back in the 1980s from a

more than I should but it was in good condition. I also bought the GG back too becasue I thought this was

the only way to get a Graflok back .. Duhhh.

I have the equivalent of the Anniversary Speed then called the Baby Speed Graphic. The "spring back" is

needed for both roll film backs and GG backs. Ignorance!!

Frankly, I find the roll film the ideal way to use it. Unless you have a darkroom and want to work with sheet

film, holders, etc ? Rollfilm is more convenient.

<blockquote>

<p>I have the equivalent of the Anniversary Speed then called the Baby Speed Graphic. The "spring back" is needed for both roll film backs and GG backs. Ignorance!!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yup, ignorance. The only easily-found roll holder that can be used with a 2x3 spring back (original equipment on Miniature Speed Graphic, early 2x3 Pacemaker Crown and Speed Graphics, Busch Pressman, ...) is the Adapt-A-Roll 620. This is an insertion type roll holder. Clip-on types like the OP's can't be used with a spring back. You may have been thinking of the Graflok focusing panel.</p>

<p>Good luck finding it alone. It usually is paired with the roll film back. Again, my recent personal experience makes me suspect that this dark slide caused more damage than good. On my most recent roll were light leaks miraculously occurring between the exposures or only damaging the edges. You may want to tape shut tape it for safety and go without it. It's just one more thing to remember to do when shooting. Which is good and bad. I sometimes shoot a picture walk about a 10 minutes and think... "did I remove the dark slide? I If certain not, then go back and shoot again or shoot that same frame again. Anyway with a Graflex, you best decide a routine and stick with it. That's the best advice I can give you, With only 8 or so exposures it is best to be very consistent in your routine. </p>

<p>Graflex nomenclature is very confusing. Graflex was a brand of medium and large format SLR, also appeared in some incarnations of the manufacturer's name.</p>

<p>Graflex' 2x3 Film Pack Adapters are 2x3 FPAs made by Graflex Inc. The apostrophe indicates the possessive. Graflex' FPAs can be used with Graflex backs (the back usually fitted to Graflex SLRs), Graflok backs (most often fitted to Pacemaker Graphics, including the Century, but not fitted to all Pacemakers and sometimes retrofitted to Graflexes and earlier Graphics), and Graphic backs (often called spring backs, usually fitted to pre-Pacemaker Graphics, also to some Pacemaker Graphics).</p>

<p>Search on eBay for film pack adapter, you'll find many. The ones that Graflex Inc. made are clearly marked Graflex. There's no reason why dark slides from other makers' FPAs should fit roll holders made by Graflex.</p>

<p>That's what you want. A Graflok back's sliders will hold it in place.</p>

<p>If you're going to make an FPA into a focusing panel, you'll need to shim the ground glass back 0.25 mm because the film pack itself holds the film that distance behind the back of the front of the FPA. Don't forget that the ground glass' ground (matte) side must face the lens.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>A Graflok back's sliders will hold it in place.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It will also slide under the focusing panel like a sheet film holder.</p>

<p>You'll get better answers and think about these things more clearly if you use the language in the standard way. A Graflok back's focusing panel is not a spring back. A spring back is a back whose focusing panel is permanently attached with springs and can be pulled away from the back to allow insertion of a sheet film holder or insertion type roll holder.</p>

<p>Sheet film is sometimes called cut film. In UK photographers' English a sheet film holder is called a dark slide (holds one sheet) or a double dark slide (holds two sheets). Graflok backs are also called international backs. Not all international backs have focusing panels on springs that can be pulled away from the back to allow insertion of a sheet film holder. The 2x3 Cambo international back, for example, doesn't conform fully to the Graflok standard. It will accept clip on type roll holders as are used with 2x3 Graflok backs but won't accept a sheet film holder. 4x5 Cambo international backs conform fully to the Graflok standard.</p>

<p>2 1/4 sheet film is a pain. You don't need the grief. A 6X9 neg has all the real estate you need.<br>

Roll back inserts come in 3 neg. sizes 2 1/4 square (6x6), 2 1/4 x 2 3/4 (6x7), and 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 (6X9), or 12 exp., 10 exp., & 8 exp. Look for the ones with lever wind and big rollers, sometimes marked Singer.<br>

If you are going to use the GG for focusing you need a dark slide.<br>

I've three Centurys, I love the gray w/red, and one w/rangefinder and one without (a lighter field camera); and a 2 1/4 Busch Pressman, assorted lenses etc.<br>

The Speed is heavy and the FP shutter not very useful<br>

I've used them since Ektachrome was 3.</p>

<p>Sid, please read the thread from the start. </p>

<p>The OP doesn't have a proper focusing panel for his Century, wants to convert a Film Pack Adapter into a ground glass holder that he can focus with. He has a clip-on type roll holder with no dark slide. </p>

<p>He's asked where to find a dark slide for his roll holder. I pointed out that 2x3 Graflex brand FPAs and 2x3 Graflex brand roll holders to fit 2x3 Graflok backs use the same dark slide and that the FPAs are quite inexpensive.</p>

<p>I also noticed this morning that I wouldn't be able to use the original spring back even if I got a hold of one. The hook on the bottom of the camera that the spring back's arms would grab onto has snapped off somewhere in the past. That would probably be why it doesn't have the back in the first place.<br>

Dan, is that 0.25mm a measurment that you've taken yourself, or one that you've found somewhere?</p>