How is he doing it?

john_boyd9

<p>From just a quick look, it would appear the guy has a repertoire of blur techniques, ranging from simple long exposure, allowing human subjects or treetops to move, to slight de-focusing. One landscape image at least seems to be made by putting the camera on a tripod, giving a long exposure and moving the camera vertically during this ( a geared centre column helps to do this in a controlled way). Zooming during exposure is also a possibility, but the effect is different.</p>

I guess you start with a naturalistic photo. Then you use reverse haze filtration in image editing with a combination of tools. To add haze and blur. When you get an effect you like, you stop and save. Whether one starts with a concept does not seem to be the intent but it is hard to say. There is a dream quality that is getting to be more and more in vogue. A style I mean. I was watching a news interview last night and noticed that jump cuts without transitions are now accepted. Blur and second curtain type things have always been out there. Now they become simple. No vaseline on the UV glass needed either.