Broken Bronica Lens (80 mm 2.8) with Weird Shutter- Troubleshooting...Any Ideas?

joseph_andrew

<p>Hi all...</p>

<p>I recently posted a query about my bronica sq a with battery operated spot metered, which had rolls of film which did not come out right. (http://www.photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00dk5Q)</p>

<p>I discovered the problem was the lens. When I depress the shutter button the camera body, the lens shutter stays much longer than the shutter speed I input. For example, if I turn the SS dial to 1/500, the leaf shutter on the 80 mm lens will stay open another 2 seconds. It leads to some pretty weird results on the film roll (see attached link from previous thread). </p>

<p>Anyway, I would appreciate some help on how to fix the problem. I bought the camera dirt cheap on eBay, but it is literally like new. The lens, though its not functioning, looks like it just came out of the box...<br>

Does anyone have any ideas on what to...do? </p>

<p>Or is this a stupid question, and I look stupid now? <br>

...</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>It sounds like the shutter in the 80mm lens needs a CLA. Although it has no/very little usage wear the lubricants have dried out from age. Expect the CLA to run $85 to $150 + shipping depending on the service center you use.<br>

The instruction manual says the standard lens uses a #0 Seiko shutter. <br>

http://www.cameramanuals.org/bronica/bronica_sq-a.pdf</p>

<p>Unless you've tried a different lens as I've suggested previously, you still don't know that this is a lens problem. Sure, the shutter is in the lens, but the instruction for how long the shutter should stay open comes from the camera. I can't tell from what you've said here where the problem is. It might be a sticky shutter. Or it might be an electronic/electrical issue in the body which means that the speed you set is misinterpreted en route to the lens. </p>

<p>If its easier you could try your lens on another body to see if it produces the same result.</p>

I have 2 Bronica SQ-Ai bodies and they seem to have the same quirk. If I take off a lens and then re-attach it, sometimes the shutter responds to what is on the dial and sometimes not. I can set the shutter for 1 sec and watch in front and it responds as if it were 1/60th instead *or some speed I cannot determine from the aperture. I set the aperture at f11 so I can see the aperture when the lens is firing from the front. Now, I take off the lens and then carefully re-attach it and use a bit stronger force to push against the body and check the shutter speed. More times than not I can visually see 2 sec is 2 sec and 1/2 sec is 1/2 sec. and 4 seconds holds the shutter open to my estimation of 4 seconds. THEN I know it is attached right. If the lens is not seated right it seems to give problems. I have read about this elsewhere on the internet and so it was not just happening to me.

You might try that sometime.

<p>I want to thank everyone for their responses :) </p>

<p>David, I definitely tested a different lens, as you mentioned in the previous thread. If I load the 110 lens, the shutter engages with the indicated SS dial inputs, and if I load the 80mm lens, the shutter is visibly out of sync. When I observed that, I knew something was fishy, and tested to ensure that the visible malfunction translated into a messed up roll of film. With the 80mm lens, it did turn out messed up, 4 times. A roll of film developed with the 110 lens turned out perfect. I believe your suggestion in the previous thread was correct. <br>

I dont have an extra body. I suppose I could switch lenses in the middle of the reel next time to be doubly sure? </p>

<p>Vernon - ok woah....did not know about that common error. You see, I do find it interesting that sometimes my lenses become stuck and hard to remove...maybe theres something with the lens connection on the 80mm specifically?</p>

<p>Charles, interesting. I may have to get some repair done if Vernons suggestion doesnt work..its a shame to have lens that doesnt work bogging me down. Do you have any recommendations for good analog film repairmen/women? The local camera store here recommended KEH or Excellent Photo Repair...Thanks!</p>

<p>Im going to investigate further. Thank you everyone!!</p>

<p>Joseph. If you've tested a different lens and that was OK you don't need to bother with bad lens/different body because the problem is clearly with the lens. </p>

<p>What Vernon suggests is not a variation on normal behaviour- its a problem unless the lens isn't being applied to the mount correctly. There should be a discernible final click as the lens completes its application.</p>

<p>Whatever, I think its likely that it needs technical help. Its likely that it'll be a close run thing between a repair and a replacement</p>

<p>You could also try to take the lens apart and clean the diafragma parts with alcohol.<br /> After assembly your lens will probably work correctly.<br /> I did this on a Nikkor-Q 13,5 cm lens for a Bronica. The lens is perfect now!<br /> You would need a few small screw drivers, a lot of light and some patience.<br /> See picture diafragma.</p>

<p>HS.</p>