Waist Level Finder

wil_ussery

<p>I'm in the market for a waist level finder (wlf) for my Mamiya 645 Pro TL. Do all the wlf's have diopter settings for eye glass compensation or do I just wear my glasses while using wlf? Also I have noticed on ebay that some of them come with a plate that has 210, 150 and 110 on it. What is this plate used for?</p>

<p>This Ebay offering shows what's what.<br>

The "plate" is part of the "sports finder" system that's attached to the waist level finder.<br>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXCELLENT-from-Japan-Mamiya-Waist-Level-Finder-N-for-645-Super-Pro-ProTL-/321866321513?hash=item4af0ba4e69<br>

I believe you need to select the proper diopter, and it's not adjustable (hopefully that's correct info).<br>

Jim</p>

<p>In my limited experience, using a WLF on a Rolleiflex SL66, I have found that it's a lot less critical to have the right diopter than when using any other type of viewfinder, e.g. prism or, on a different camera, rangefinder. It would depend on your optical prescription, of course. Mine is -1.5. I don't need a diopter for the WLF but I do for everything else.</p>

<p>I currently have the AE Prism Finder for the Mamiya 645 Pro TL and thanks for explaining the Sports Finder system. I just use reading glasses at 1.5 magnification, so I'm concerned that if I buy the WLF with the wrong diopter setting, then I will have to probably take my glasses on and off.<br>

<br />What Diopter setting should I purchase with the glasses that I currently have? </p>

<p>The WLFs for the Mamiya Super/Pro/ProTL have no eyesight correction at all. They have a popup magnifier only, and if it doesn't suit your unaided eyesight you'll have to wear your spectacles or contacts to focus with it. IIRC you could once buy alternative power lenses to screw into the popup magnifier, but they're probably as plentiful as hens-teeth these days.</p>

<p>I don't think anyone that owns a prism finder ever goes back to using the WLF. Mine has lain unused since I got the camera it came with. If I need to look down on the camera I fit an RA adapter to the prism finder. It's a Yashica one that I made to fit the Mamiya by bending it's lugs a little - and that <em>does</em> have a dioptre correction adjustment.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>What I don't understand about 645 WLFs is the price. I'd love to get one, but how on earth can you justify £100+ for a little pop-up hood? I picked up my 645 Pro with a power-winder and metering prism for £200 (pretty good deal I think), how can a few pieces of metal that pop open and closed cost half what I paid for my camera?<br>

You could always use the cheapy work-around of removing the prism and making a cardboard lightshield around the ground glass. It'll give identical functionality, cost £100 less, and almost entirely ruin the cool-factor you've built up by having such a sexy camera in one fell swoop. </p>