Profoto b1 sets with light modifier

benjamin_kim1

<p>I never try this wireless studio strobe in my life. I rented from my school for 3 days. It was quite impressive tho. I'm going to practice with this equipment and then use these for couple portraits later in spring. Since these equipments are so heavy and big, I can not carry any light modifiers like beauty dish and soft box at all. Are there any alternative solutions for soft box and beauty dish wish portability?</p>

<p>Softbox umbrella? Folds down to a conventional umbrella size and opens out into a silver-lined octagonal softbox.<br /> I personally think they're the best thing since sliced bread. Although a conventional rectangular softbox doesn't actually weigh much more or take up much more room when dis-assembled. However those softbox-umbrellas erect in no time.<br /> Like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/PhotoSEL-UM343R-109cm-Reflective-Umbrella-Softbox/dp/B00A21P7UK/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1450617192&sr=8-10&keywords=flash+umbrella+softbox</p>

<p>As for a so-called "beauty" dish. Just stick a circle of black paper over the centre of your light source.</p>

<p>There are a number of solutions to portability.<br /><br />To start, an umbrella is about the simplest and most compact modifier you can get, yet highly effective. However you are carrying the profoto kit now, you can definitely wedge in an umbrella or two and only add a few ounces to the weight.<br /><br />Beyond that, if you're going to use studio strobes, the answer is either a rolling case or a cart/dolly. There are rolling cases that will hold multiple strobes, stands and modifiers very efficiently. You can put your camera bag over your shoulder and pull the case behind you. (Better yet, strap the bag to the case.) There are also carts ranging from luggage carts to large equipment carts that let one person pull/push as much gear as you can imagine.<br /><br />Other approach is to shoot with speedlights, compact stands and lightweight modifiers like umbrellas. Go to <a href="http://www.strobist.com">www.strobist.com</a> and read the Lighting 101 section where he talks about basic gear. He is a former newspaper photographer and talks about traveling light with just a camera bag and a compact stand with umbrella over his should on a strap.<br /><br />Studio strobes offer more power and have other advantages, but they are big and heavy. That means what is the best solution for the studio is not necessarily the best solution on location. </p>

<p>Benjamin - There is nothing to apologize for. When you step up to professional photography studio equipment there are no light weight options. If you want a beauty dish then buy a beauty dish. Don't get a knock off. My advise is to focus on getting the right lighting modifiers and strobes to achieve the look you want. Then get a helper to assists you like the PROs do. Otherwise you are better off doing the speed light set up for a one man show.</p>

<p>Beauty dishes (at least the 20-22" variety) aren't that big. Assuming you're shooting one light portraits the B1 setup, a stand, and a dish in a bag is easily doable. I used to shoot in the desert with a similar setup years ago...would have to walk ~1 mile in sand with all the gear and it wasn't much trouble. Same with softboxes; as has been stated already, they break down fairly quickly. Some are even collapsible if you prefer (ie. like an umbrella). <br>

Currently I'm lugging around a Speedotron 2403cx pack (~30lbs), 3 heads (x10lbs each), and depending on what I'm shooting that day: various reflectors, snoots, grids, softboxes, stands, etc. It's cumbersome for sure, but that's the trade-off for needing the strobes. At most it requires me to take 2 trips to and from my car to the studio or location. <br>

So yeah, a B1 and a couple modifiers are doable IMO. I would suggest not skimping out on modifiers, for example going the ebay route and stocking up on "collapsible beauty dish" (aka an umbrella with a silver plate glued to the pole) or a bunch of cheap umbrellas. At that point you're not really getting the best out of the Profoto's anyway, so you might as well just go the strobist route at that point.</p>

<p>No I just can't carry more equipments for now. Wrong? Give me a break.<br>

Because Michael offered knowledge and you responded with a snarky comment. How can a broken down soft box be too large to transport? It's about the same size as an umbrella and would easily fit in a Profoto D1 monolight case. Add a set of wheels and you just pull it all. How long have you been shooting?</p>

<p>And Michael is showing you a well organized, fairly compact equipment example. I often travel with heavy booms, 20 lb sandbags, an 18 lb battery, some substantial 20 lb stands but roll it in with a cart with 800 lb capacity or rolling ladder/cart and rolling golf case. I drive a suv for a reason and have filled it to the roof for some shoots. Yes, great images can be taken with less gear, but some things just require particular gear. For example, Michael has posted shots taken with a black net. It is gear like that that enables a photographer to take their image to the next level even though many folks won't recognize what was done. Tear down, load, unload, haul, set up tear down haul and reset up in studio can be a regular part of this pursuit. It can involve up to 5 lights, stands and multiple modifiers for each. Or you can be a natural light photographer. </p>

<p>Devil's advocate here.... :-)</p>

<p>Just looked at Michaels gear shot. Is all that stuff really necessary? Like.. background roll (?), needing stands and support pole - wouldn't a lastolite pop-up be enough? </p>

<p>Camera case + Lighting case + background are needed.. So whats all the other stuff for? You have 5 'stuff' cases and 3 stand cases there.. Doing it properly with monolights, I would have one case for lighting, stands, modifiers and one backpack for camera equipment. Less if using battery portables.</p>

<p>I do get your point though. Complaining about taking the gear is no way to carry on.</p>

<p>Hey Ian, The amount of equipment is relative, the point of this is to show that I don't complain about the amount of equipment that I personally use to do a job. I don't use mono lights everything is pack and head system.<br>

In this particular case the client requested white background which in turn requires additional lighting of just the background thus extra lights, extra modifiers extra cases. I also have a case for just my ring light which also requires a power pack. I have a case just for grips and clamps. A separate case for a Profoto 5ft reflector and separate case for just the background support system. I don't use pop up backgrounds, not my style. Rolls of seamless offer more flexibility.</p>

<p>Hey Bob Bill, Merry Christmas! Looking forward to a fun studio shoot after I return to Tampa in the New Year. Stay tuned and keep in touch!<br>

<br>

Getting back to the OP's original question:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I never try this wireless studio strobe in my life. I rented from my school for 3 days. It was quite impressive tho. I'm going to practice with this equipment and then use these for couple portraits later in spring. Since these equipments are so heavy and big, I can not carry any light modifiers like beauty dish and soft box at all. Are there any alternative solutions for soft box and beauty dish wish portability?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Benjamin, as others have mentioned, a rolling bag is the best mobile solution to take the load off. Heck, in a pinch, an old rolling suitcase can do the job. Thrift stores have them for a few dollars. Bungie cords cost a few more dollars at the hardware, and can be used to lash stands and modifiers together on the bag.<br>

<br>

That said, IF you started doing this sort of work on a regular basis, there are other options for lighting that are smaller and lighter portable solutions that you can buy or rent for the job. The radio controlled Elinchrom Quadra is an example … the head is smaller than a speed-light yet @ 410W/s can deliver up to 4 to 5 times the power. These are excellent for use with umbrella and smaller modifiers (the Quadra head mount is not strong/stable enough for really large soft-boxes).<br>

(<strong>See size comparison photo below</strong> of B1 and Quadra … both of which I own and use (along with Profoto Acute B600AIR and B2 kits).<br>

The Quadra pack is also relatively small and can be hung on the light stand to provide more stability. <br>

<br>

However, assuming you are using the Profoto B1's because your school supplies them (for now), then the question about modifiers needs additional information from you to provide some solutions. <br>

<br>

Where will these upcoming portraits be taken? If indoors, what sort of setting? Is the space large or more confined? How much headroom will the space give you? Head shots? Waist-up? Full length? All of the above?<br>

<br>

In addition to Rodeo Joe's excellent and inexpensive suggestion, there are other foldable modifiers that can be fitted to the Profoto head. <br>

<br>

I use a whole system of Elinchrom Rotalux mods with a Profoto speed-rings on my D1s, B1s and B2 … like deep octa-boxes of varying sizes, all sorts of square and rectangular soft-boxes … all with inner baffels and outer diffusers, silver or gold deflectors, hooded front diffusers and egg-crate grids <strong>for ultimate creative control</strong> … so one need not be limited just to umbrella type solutions for portability. <br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Elinchrom+Rotalux&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=<br>

<br>

Yet, on occasion I use a Varistar umbrella if using just a broad light source to illuminate an area, with less concern for control. <br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1058295-REG/elinchrom_el_26384_varistar_umbrella_41.html</p><div>00deNM-559884484.jpg.9125bb93467fa1e7699c48a29a5d8438.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Marc, Merry Christmas to you! Hope you have some snow up there as it will be 84 degrees here tomorrow, my white part of Christmas will be the beach sand. Looking forward to a shoot once you are back. Benjamin, when Marc and Michael post, listen, they are great photographers who shoot in the real world. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I don't use mono lights everything is pack and head system.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That will account for the amount of cases. Mine don't pack down small either. Consequently, Monolights, Battery powered pack and heads, battery portables.. <br>

You obviously just take what is appropriate.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>To the OP: Welcome to the world of carts!</p>

<p>• <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?sku=43619&Q=&O=&m=Y&gclid=CNrGm6iGjsoCFQ2OaQod1nEPZQ&is=REG&ap=y&A=details">Kart-A-Bag</a>: Industry-standard foldable cart of ENG television crews worldwide.<br>

• <a href="http://www.filmtools.com/magliner-mini-with-8-inch-casters.html">Magliner Mini</a>: Used by photo, film and television crews worldwide (expensive!).</p>

<p><strong>I try to keep it as light as possible but some projects require more gear, flexibility is a must. I normally utilize natural light but when I need the Profoto Acute2 kit and a Profoto monolight, I include the Profoto Trolly case. I don't shoot flash with my largest client, so I take the Tenba grip, tripod cases, backpack, monitor case and a set of wheels. If I drove a SUV, I'd buy a Multicart but don't have the room right now.</strong></p><div>00dfTj-560063684.jpg.b5680dc02df5bdbd37b00b77a2c4f645.jpg</div>