Comments on Ilfotech DD and Tri-X

Troll

<p>I've given up darkroom, but it's very difficult to find commercial labs. I love the services that The Darkroom offers.<br>

I just got back my first test roll of Ilford XP2 from them, (a pleasure), but my usual film is Kodak Tri-X. They develop B&W in Ilfotech DD, with which I have no experience.- I'd appreciate any experience you have had with this combination. </p>

<p>Bill, I think you mean DD-X. It's a fine and fairly universal developer, from my albeit limited experience. I've used it occasionally with Tri-X but mainly with other films. While I cannot find the specific Tri-X negatives at the moment I cannot recall having had any unpleasant surprises with that combination. How they develop (and to what gamma) is probably the more important for you and it is probably best to simply try a sample roll with them. </p>

<p>Ilfotech DD-X is a great developer for Tri-X. In my past experiences I was able to shoot close to box speed rather than the 320 I normally get out of Tri-X.</p>

<p>I would especially recommend DD-X for medium format TX negatives, it seems to be a very contrasty developer and thats something you like with big negatives.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/201142710428680.pdf">Ilford Ilfotec DD</a> is a developer specifically designed for dip-and-dunk (thus DD), deep tank, and continuous processing systems. It's designed to be used replenished, and they make a "starter" to convert a tank of freshly mixed DD into "seasoned" DD. Long stable life and consistent results with replenishment are important for a developer for this market. It comes in sizes from 5 liter bottles to 205 liter barrels.<br /> The only ingredients listed on the <a href="http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/200921292232668.pdf">MSDS</a> are diethylene glycol, hydroquinone, and sodium borate (borax). There certainly are other ingredients that don't have to be listed, as hydroquinone is rarely used as the only developing agent. It probably also contains Phenidone or Dimezone S in concentrations low enough not to have to be listed. More likely Dimezone S, since Phenidone doesn't keep well in solution.<br /> Ilfotec DD-X is a developer meant for home use. Its <a href="http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/2012718163311481.pdf">MSDS</a> includes Dimezone S (1-Phenyl-4-Methyl-4-Hydroxymethyl-3-Pyrazolidone). It's not the same thing as Ilfotec DD. But the similarity of name does indicate some intended relation.<br /> Ilford invented Phenidone. Their Microphen developer uses it.<br /> Think of DD-X as an attempt at liquid Microphen.</p>

<p>But one doesn't need a darkroom to develop film at home. Just changing bag, tank, sink, and a clean place to dry the film. Open bottles of Ilford Ilfotec DD-X have very reasonable shelf life, perhaps due to the use of diethylene glycol. I reliably get a year shelf life.<br>

Ilfords new Ilfosol 3 is also designed for long shelf life in open bottle. (Avoid the discontinued Ilfosol S, it was known for suddenly dying completely in the open bottle.)<br>

Also, Kodak HC-110 is known to be eternal in syrup form, and Rodinal lasts forever.<br>

But a well-controlled dip-and-dunk line using Ilfotec DD should produce excellent results, and they probably can dry the film with less dust than you can at home.</p>

<p>John, thank you for speaking to shelf life of different developers and also indicating the difference as the use of the terms DD and DD-X seemed to indicate some relationship of commercial and home developers. Do you not think that the common use of Dimezone S may confer some similar behaviour?</p>

<p>Also, I have some two and three year old DD-X and Ilfosol-S concentrates (unopened bottles) that I would like to use, also variously aged liquid concentrates of fixer (Kodak and Ilford rapid fixers). Any idea of the shelf life of those concentrates (kept in the dark mainly at 17 C but with short summer periods to 24 C)?</p>