Honeycomb Grid with or without Front Diffuser? Westcott Strip Box

noel_pilipino

<p>Hello, I am new to using strip boxes.<br>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/501146-REG/Westcott_3668_Bruce_Dorn_Strip_Bank.html">I am using these 18x42 strip boxes</a>. I purchased the 40 degree <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/829982-REG/Westcott_2474_40_Degree_Fabric_Grid.html">optional honeycomb grid for them</a><br>

So the strip bank has a smaller internal baffle diffuser, a also a selection of -.25, -.5, and -1 stop larger front diffusion panels, and finally this optional 40 degree honeycomb grid as above.<br>

Is it correct that when using the honeycomb grid, one typically still uses one of the three front difussion panels behind the honeycomb grid?<br>

Looking forward to using these!<br>

Thanks in advance for all knowledgeable answers.</p>

<p>The diffusion is to soften the light. By using a grid over your diffusion you will have the soft light with the 40 degree beam spread. If you choose to remove the diffuser you will have a harder light. It is a matter of hard and soft light. There is not a typical or right way. These are creative tools to shape your light source to your own creative objectives.</p>

Hi, since you specifically bought this softbox, you probably realize that it is specially made to be asymmetric, and that one of the (internal)

baffles is intended to roughly equalise the light output to make it behave similar to a conventional striplight. Regarding the front grid, it

mainly limits light "spill," and is independent of whatever baffle/diffuser you might want to use.

By the way, one especially good use for the asymmetric form is for portrait work with a darker-complexioned subject who is wearing a

white shirt. The natural "feathering" (fall off) of the light will help prevent blowout of the white if it's used fairly close to the subject.