building a small darkroom

<p>STOP!</p>

<p>The most important item in a darkroom is the DRAIN! Do you have a floor drain? Or will you need to pump it up to get the wast water out? Before you build anything sort out the drain issue first.</p>

<p>My current darkroom doesn't have a floor drain so I am using a washing machine drain lift unit. Read this post that covers my darkroom from start to finish. My sinks are wood. When you seal them use SILICONE caulk!</p>

<p>http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?threads/at-last-building-out-my-darkroom.108767/</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Thanks all,<br>

There is the kitchen drain (2") running on the far side of a masonry wall. I'll have to drill through the wall and tap into it, but I see no problem with that. I'll vent with a cheater valve.<br>

My new plan is to put in a deep plastic laundry tub immediately, and then be able to use the space with a temp. counter. I can work on a 6' wooden sink when time allows. That way I'll have a deep and shallow sink.</p>

<p>Now, the problem remains about the enlarger. I've decided, if possible, that I don't want to chop my negs in half or buy some dinky piece of trash. I would like to find a creative way of making some large prints, too. I found a Durst Laborator 138s for sale a few hours drive away. I want it. But have no space.</p>

<p>What about putting it in the garage? I can make up a lightproof bag. All I do is roll up the paper, pop it in the bag and carry back to the basement. Thoughts?<br>

It gets cold here in Toronto. Will the enlarger see any damage from the cold?</p>

<p>The Durst you mention is a great enlarger, but I wouldn't put it in the garage if I were you--carrying exposed paper back and forth will get old very quickly. The Zone VI I mentioned earlier can be had with a 45" column which you could fit in a smaller space, but still make good sized prints with the right lenses.</p>

<p>Just had a convo with my uncle, Peter Sramek (who incidentally knows his shiznatch, feel free to google him). He has more or less convinced me to scan and digital print for large stuff, and go dink around in the shared darkroom when I want to do that...<br>

Seems reasonable, really. Maybe I'll buy a cheapo 6x7 camera and a little enlarger for home, but not for now.</p>

<p>Ian--I haven't needed parts or service for my Zone VI, so I don't know what the situation is on that. What I can tell you is that I have made thousands of prints with it without any issues. The scan/inkjet route is certainly easier for large prints than conventional wet process methods, although the experience is different.</p>

<p>There is a great old book that's out of print now, but copies can still be ordered through Amazon: <em>Into Your Darkroom Step by Step, </em>by Dennis Curtin. I've always admired it for its clear explanations and great illustrations. Used copies are cheap at Amazon. It might be worth your while picking one up, if nothing else just for your general edification.</p>