Kodak Retina II type 142, Rewind knob problem.

Two suggestions that I can think of offhand- leave the rewind knob own against the top of the case when

rewinding, don't lift up the knob until the film rewound and you are ready to open the back and remove the

cartridge, two - are you sure the film was wound out of the cartridge while you were taking photographs?

With some Retina models (and many other cameras) if the film is not securely engaged with the take up

spool when loading you can wind (or crank) through what you think is a roll of film clicking the shutter and

seeing the exposure counter advance when in reality the film has slipped off the take up spool and is not

moving. The only clue is that after several exposures the rewind knob is not rotating in the unwind direction

whn you are supposedly advancing the film. Hope this helps.

<p>First thank you all for your replies.<br /> It seems that there is a problem with the fork that engages atop of the film spool in the film cassette. Through the last roll, I had to open the camera in a bag, remove the cassette and the film and rewind the film back by hand.<br /> I have tried rewinding the film with the knob retracted, but it did not work.<br>

Is there any photos/schematics available on the parts that make up the rewind assembly of the Retina II?</p>

<p>Hi Nikos,<br>

Are you the same person as Nikos72 over at RFF? If so, sorry to hear that my suggestion to check the J-shaped bit of sheet metal under the rewind knob did not work. <br />It the pawl of the ratchet mechanism that makes the rewind knob engage with the fork that goes into the canister. <br />If this is installed wrong the knob will spin freely.<br /><br /><br /></p>

<p>Hi Rick,<br>

Are there any photos available of how it looks like? Do I have to remove the top of the camera to fix it? It would be easier if I had at least a photo of how it looks like when it is properly assembled. I'm afraid that I will open it, but have no idea what it should look like.</p>

<p>No, it can be done without removing the top of the camera, it involves unscrewing the two screws that hold the rewind knob to the stem and reinstalling the knob and a J-shaped sheet metal part at a 180 degrees. <br />The small J-shaped piece of sheet metal is (or should be), inside the stem, under the rewind knob. It is held in position by one of the screws that holds the rewind knob in place. <br /><br />If this small part is gone, or installed on the wrong side inside the stem, the ratchet in the stem won't engage and the part going into the film cassette will spin freely.<br />It can be fiddly to install it in the right position.</p>

<p>I'll see if I can take a picture or at least sketch it for you.</p>

<p>It's held in place by one of the screws that holds the knob onto the stem (there's room cut out at one side for it) <br /><br />The part looks like a fat "J" with a hole at the top where the screw passes through. <br />And I'm fairly certain the end of the tail faces clockwise.</p>

<p>I have tried various tricks to make something similar to that but all have failed. It is not a big deal, I can remove the film in a changing bag, but for the shake of completeness is there anyone that sells parts from retinas?</p>